Tuesday, November 15, 2022

 

I’m sorry about yesterday. Wasn’t well. Fine now. And so are my cats. I’ve taken to sitting in the kitchen, at least when it gets dark, because it’s warm in there. Cats like warm, too, and Perdita has taken to lying on my knitting on the kitchen table. I’ll have to move her soon. I’ve got to get on with this thing.

 

This week’s offering from Kate Davies’ Allover club is a pair of fingerless mitts, and very nice too. Also, I got a bank statement in the mail this morning which left me feeling a bit cheerful (that’s unexpected) so I ordered KD’s book, “Sark”. It’s about travelling stitches, which I am fond of. I often find, in these dark days, that it’s easier to think of Christmas presents for myself than for anyone else.

 

Wordle: I long to make an observation about today’s word, and I’m afraid that the characteristic Wordle oblivion will have descended and wiped my mind clean of it by tomorrow. Quite a few of us, with different final scores, had four greens and guessed wrong about the final letter. I can’t think of any other two words in the language which would fit except the one I can’t mention until tomorrow, and the right answer. Ah, but wait. Maybe other people who had used different starter words, had different options. I haven’t worked all the way through the alphabet on this one.

 

Anyway: Ketki and Theo and I got four today. My fours are pulling ahead.  The winners were Thomas and Daughter-Rachel with three. Mark and Alexander and Roger – who is presumably now in London – got five. Poor Granddaughter-Rachel failed, and then had to trudge off to work in the rain. Those who got the configuration I am bursting to talk about – four greens and the last letter wrong – were me and Alexander and Mark and Daughter-Rachel.

 

Mary Lou – about not watching The Crown. (comment probably Sunday): my mother was staying with us once (decades ago) when we were watching a series about Edward and Mrs Simpson. She felt about it just as you do about this one: been there, done that – or, at least, read about it – don’t need to go over it all again. It had a wonderful theme tune:

     ….the happiest of females.

             I’ve danced with a man

                Who danced with a girl

                    Who danced with the Prince of Wales.

1 comment:

  1. =Tamar3:30 AM

    Fingerless mitts are more useful than I used to think. I wore out my first pair. I use them for reading in bed, and sometimes for late autumn driving when the steering wheel is just a little too cold at first. But my current favorite is a pair with a flip-top cover that turns them into a full mitten, so when I don't need the finger contact my fingers are fully protected. The thumb is full-coverage but there are times when I wish it too had a flip top. They are only a little more fiddly to make than a regular mitten.

    Sark sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete