Tuesday, November 08, 2022

 

I’m back to a state of worrying about Perdita. She’s an odd cat, as I’ve often said. But why all this disappearance? She was much in evidence when Rachel and Ed were here, not all that long ago. I have scarcely seen her today. Daniela found her – Daniela can find anything – in the hall cupboard, where we keep the vacuum cleaner and the ironing board and a lot of other miscellaneous things. She was in a box (with miscellaneous things) under one of the shelves. Her medical advisor once recommended Feliway, and I supply it to her at considerable expense. When C. and I were searching on Sunday, I discovered that the current vial was empty so I plugged in the next one. But it doesn’t seem to have made any difference.

 

Apart from that major anxiety, the day went smoothly enough. My physiotherapists came and administered some exercises.

 

And I got a bit forward with the knitting.

 

I got a tempting email from Meadow Yarns. In the old days, I looked there for tools. Ang could be counted on for a circular of any length and any gauge. She still sells some, but has been diverted by the joys of dyeing. Today she is offering a gorgeous merino-silk-yak. But the colours are all pretty dark – because yak is basically dark, I think is the reason. I couldn’t knit a baby’s hap in anything quite so gloomy. Could I?

 

Wordle: Four for nearly everybody today. The exceptions were Daughter-Rachel, with five. She got stuck in one of those Wordle Specials where she had four greens and kept guessing the second letter wrong. And Theo – he’s good, that boy – who nailed it in three. My two starter words yielded only two brown tiles. You’d think it would be easy to find something for line three, but it wasn’t. My starters include all the vowels except Y, and five consonants which come high in the letter-frequency alphabet. My two browns were a vowel and a consonant. But at last I thought of something, and it turned my two brown tiles into greens and added two more browns. From there to the answer wasn’t a great leap.


Sarah in Manhattan, I was particularly grateful for your comment yesterday. To think that this Wordle-ry is of any interest to anyone!

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:48 PM

    I enjoy your Wordle comments too. I play and it is always interesting to me to hear how others play the game. I think it is a great way to get my brain moving in the morning, though sometimes I don't finish it until evening if I get stuck or called away

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:15 PM

    I got something new for me today on Wordle. No green. No brown. Nothing. I'm still thinking about what to try first with only knowing what letters the answer does NOT have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and I forgot to tell it I'm kayT not anonymous.

      Delete
  3. Katie2:32 AM

    You might want to have Perdita seen by the veterinarian… cats sometimes hide when they’re not feeling well. (I am a daily reader of yours, but infrequent commenter - thank you for your writing!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:00 AM

    Cats and Feliway: is the plug it is attached to switched on again, is the new vial screwed in fully enough? I have slipped up in both these respects in the past. Otherwise yes, cats feeling unwell often hide away and become less communicative. I've just found mine, under the spare bed with a sprained leg. She is not normally much of a skulker, which is why her absence made me wonder.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:20 PM

    I have seen yak to be pretty bright. Dark might just be her preference. I think it’s supposed to be quite warm and quite expensive so is often combined with other fibers like her silk, merino, etc. And with silk probably giving it a sheen, would that change the look of a traditional woolen hap? I’m not an expert, just some

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:20 PM

    Thoughts. Fun considerations when embarking on a new project. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  7. =Tamar5:54 PM

    Yak is lovely yarn, but a bit much for a baby hap, I think. For instance, I would hesitate to try to wash it. It might not get used much if the parents felt that way. That said, dark colors are not necessarily bad for infant use, just different. But you may not feel cheered by them for a winter knitting project.

    ReplyDelete