Thursday, November 10, 2022

It sounds stormy out there tonight. 

I haven’t seen much of Perdita today, but what I’ve seen has been reassuring.

I’ve watched some more of The Crown, and knit some more. I did another rough measurement today, and what did I tell you? Five inches short of the underarm. 

I had a particular interest in The Crown, which is otherwise rather tedious. (Reviews say that this series gets more interesting later on.) But today I watched Part Four (I think) which is actually called “Annus Horribilis”.  I was listening to the radio as I cooked lunch that day— as  happened not uncommonly — and it reported the Queen’s speech at the Guildhall with a recording of her uttering that now-famous phrase. I was surprised at the way she pronounced “horribilis”,  and left off cooking to go look it up. Not surprisingly, she was right. Many who have quoted the phrase since have pronounced it the (wrong) way I expected. But The Crown puts the right pronunciation into the Queen’s mouth, I am glad to report.

 

Wordle: Yesterday’s word as RAINY. I got four brown tiles with my starter TRAIN. If I has just looked at it, I might have slid all four tiles one position to the left and got it right in three. But no. I struggled and came up with DINAR, which Wordle accepted but which did me no good.

 

Today I did get it in three, and was rather pleased with myself. I was the first to report. Then there were lots of fours – Alexander, Ketki, Theo. Thomas scored five. I was feeling very cheerful by mid-morning. But the later reporters did better – three (like me) for daughter-Rachel and Roger. And then Mark blew us all out of the water with a two. 





4 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:07 PM

    Jean, I don’t mean to picture any balloons for their own sake and I also liked that the Queen pronounced the phrase correctly according to current standards but as even my Latin teacher pointed out (YEARS ago), no one really has ever heard a Roman actually speak, so though It may grate on my ears (and it would) German-sounding Latin, for instance might be just as “authentic” as any other. Even though an extension of modern spoken Italian makes that more likely. If anyone has heard or seen differently - perhaps a contemporary pronunciation guide - I would like to know. I tried to change picture to puncture after proofreading but it wouldn’t let me. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:12 PM

    P.S. This is just a little quirk of history that interests me. I realize that the fate of the world does not depend on it:). Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary Lou5:35 PM

    I was a mediocre student of Latin, at best. Our Catholic school used a church latin/Italian style pronunciation, and the classical method never sounded right to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. =Tamar5:41 PM

    The official pronunciation of Latin was changed after I was became an adult, so I don't worry about the idea that there is s "correct" way.

    ReplyDelete