Friday, September 23, 2022

 

A grey day. I didn’t go out. The big news is that VK came – how and why did I ever let it lapse? I’m glad to see that Meg is still there, and Norah Gaughan still at the helm.

 

I’ve started Fergus’ sweater. Progress is slow, so far. First of all, casting on 256 stitches involves a fair amount of counting. Next, it turns out that the ribbing is not entirely straightforward. There are occasional bands of four stitches amidst the k2, p2 ribbing. That requires very close attention and anxious counting. From there on, for a while, you just knit the knits and purl the purls. But even that requires fairly close attention, especially for the first round. All that is done, and the next round. I’m just making excuses for not having accomplished more.

 

Normally, when I knit a Calcutta Cup sweater – who would have thought I would ever write those words, in the desolate Noughties? – normally, I simply abandon the sweater pattern above the ribbing, and knit a Calcutta Cup band. This time, after today’s struggle, I think it might be better to fit the cup and the date neatly between the cable patterns which have been so elaborately prepared with those four-stitch bands. That would involve developing the cables as per the pattern, even while the cup and date are being inserted between. We’ll see – and indeed we’ll have to see fairly soon.




An example from long ago.

 Wordle: an honest word today. No complaints. But I didn’t do very well. TWO for Alexander; three for Rachel, Ketki, and Mark; four for Theo; five for me; six for Thomas, who got stuck without a first letter and guessed wrong twice. I used Jean-words in lines three and four and they eventually, as often, guided me to the answer.

4 comments:

  1. Mary Lou8:59 PM

    I got it in TWO today, as well, for the first time ever. I was sitting waiting for the dermatologist and hoped it would fill more than those few brief minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. =Tamar9:06 PM

    Planning is half the fun. As long as it doesn't involve ripping later, once the knitting reveals the results, anyway.
    I think VK went through a dull period.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:27 PM

    I always look forward to your Calcutta Cup endeavors, and your descriptions. I looked up the colors of this one and they are lovely. Carry on!
    I got Wordle in 3 today with a very lucky first word which produced the final letter and one other, while eliminating the other three letters. I was happy with the result!
    I do enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:27 PM

    Sarah in Manhattan

    ReplyDelete