Sunday, September 04, 2022

 We had some welcome rain in the night. C. came and we got all the way around the garden – the first time I’ve done that in a while. She was tired but very happy after a week of grandchildren – a London-based set as well as Hamish and his brother Quinn.

 

Not much knitting. Again, I hope I’ll do some more this evening. It now just needs a little push and the job will be done.

 

I’m afraid I did sign up for Stephen West’s MKAL. I sort of hoped there would be a message from one of you this morning saying, oh, go for it; but there wasn’t. There was just a message rather disapproving of the whole idea of knitting something when you don’t even know what it’s meant to look like. I’m not worried. It’s a shawl. West is a good designer, and he works hard on this annual event. We’re meant to start and finish in October, but I can presumably stretch it out a bit. November and December are the months when I need colour and encouraging videos from Stephen West.

 

What I forgot to say yesterday is that the news that the Queen stayed away from the Braemar Gathering this weekend is, I suspect, far more indicative of a decline in her health than the fact that she’s not going to London to welcome the new Prime Minister. Braemar must be what the Royal Family mean when they refer to “the Games” – just as we mean the Strathardle Highland Gathering which is always held the week before. Or maybe she just got tired of it all. She has to sit in a sort of three-sided hut which keeps the rain off, and just watch. Whereas the fun is walking about and meeting old friends and catching up on a year’s gossip and drinking whiskey out of the back of each other’s cars.

 

Wordle: Rachel and Ed are in Portugal with Alexander and Ketki, and Alexander has succeeded in adding Rachel to our little group of solvers. Posting daily results is easy, once you’re in. I did rather well again today – Thomas and I scored four, Alexander five, Rachel and Mark six – and Ketki failed. The problem with a lot of people was that they got the last three letters and then kept guessing wrong; the old familiar Wordle swamp. I got all five letters as browns in my two starter words, and my second attempt at a complete anagram was right.

16 comments:

  1. Maybe half the fun of knitting something is not knowing? Why not? Enjoy discovering it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must confess I have been puzzling over the M in MKAL. Today you cleared up the mystery in Mystery Knit Along. Looking forward to Oct-Dec and seeing the mystery revealed.
    Wordle in 4.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was mightily tempted by Stephen West -- what stopped me was only available cash. I look forward to seeing your pictures as you go along!
    Cam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lesley Middleton7:58 PM

    I love the Stephen West mystery shawls and look forward to them every autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:38 PM

    I love doing the mkal and last year did two versions, including the brioche version. It’s a great way to use random saved stash.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can understand enjoying the mystery.I am much too lazy to use other people's patterns so my knitting is always a mystery that can change as the project progresses!
    Some of West's designs are very colourful so you should be just fine for gloomy weather knitting..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shandy10:18 PM

    One does not know the actual state of the Queen's health but my guess is that she cannot be seen in a wheelchair because of the image it would project , even if it, or a mobility scooter of some kind, would enable her to take part .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:07 AM

    My sister and I are also in for the MKAL, although I haven't finished the one from 2020 yet. I'm knitting from stash, sis has succumbed to one of the (lovely!) kits.

    Beverly in NJ

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mary Lou2:32 AM

    I have little interest in a mystery knit along, but that's a personal preference. I have friends who thoroughly enjoy them. I made Wordle in 5 today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mary Lou2:37 AM

    And after checking Google for Braemar, I came up with a link to footage from 1936. http://movingimage.nls.uk/film/2639

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous6:38 AM

    I am looking forward to seeing the colours you choose, Jean. I looked at the kit preview and was interested how relatively subdued many of the colourways on offer were. With three colours - two skeins each of two shades, and one singleton - it does look a good option either to choose one's own three shades and buy new, or to kit out from stash. I might have a browse in my own stash though I'm pretty sure it is all single skeins rather than multiples......
    JennyS

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous10:11 AM

    His shawls are very popular so that says a lot for enjoyment knitting, I would think. They also seem to be quite large so I would want to choose colors I really like because I would be looking at them for a long time. Never did a mystery shawl so am talking from theory, not experience. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous2:39 PM

    I'm very glad you are doing the mkal, Jean. That way we get to puzzle out the mystery along the way, too! I expect you'll have a lot of fun with it. Eileen in Chapel Hill.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous2:50 PM

    The MKAL sounds fun indeed! Looking forward to seeing photos.
    Lisa RR

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous8:11 PM

    I, too, approve of the MKAL! I haven’t chosen to do one, myself, but with a designer as excellent as Stephen West, it seems a safe bet. But I’m in full-bore baby-knitting (and -weaving) mode as I await my first grandbaby! (posted by The Other Kristen)

    ReplyDelete