Sunday, September 18, 2022

 

Inspired by your comment, Tamar, I redoubled my search, and I have found the missing Knitter’s’s. I haven’t looked at the Adult Surprise in Issue 60 yet. I don’t need that, anyway, because I’ve got Cully’s book, The Complete Surprise. (It’s here somewhere, at any rate, if I could just put my hands on it.) Nancy Thomas was editor in those days. Knitter’s was never better. It’s sad to think that when my unfortunate children come to clear out this house, they’ll throw away valuable knitting magazines with abandon.

 

I have been all alone today, therefore no walk. I need someone to get my walking aid up and down the steps, before I can strike out on my own. Archie will come tomorrow, when the whole country shuts down for the royal funeral. I have given Daniella the day off; the least I could do. I enjoy my own company, and can still totter about the kitchen sufficiently to cook simple things. KirstenM (comment April 6) I made your Sausage Supper for my lunch today, and it was delicious. But it must be tough on old folks at my stage of feebleness who see no one at all from week’s end to week’s end.

 

I gather there is some feeling in the US, spearheaded by the NYT, that the Queen must be held responsible for all the evils of imperialism. Today’s news here, in the interstices of funeral news, is of serious riots in Leicester between Hindus and Muslims. The subcontinental communities are large and well-established there (we used to live in Leicester, before Birmingham), dating back to the days when citizens of the Commonwealth had free access. The trouble this time started with a cricket match some days ago between India and Pakistan. The Empire is certainly responsible for the world-wide dissemination of cricket.

 

I went on with the random-striped Shetland sweater, to celebrate finding those Knitter’s’s. I'm prepared to fling it aside again as soon as the yarn from Fergus' Calcutta Cup sweater turns up. And I’ve found the Coofle pattern in my Ravelry library.

 

Wordle: I am totally mystified by your comment yesterday, RedH, that you have different words. The time difference creates some confusion, since the new word comes up, I believe, at midnight Your Time which is not necessarily mine. Don’t the numbers keep it straight? We did 456 today, and it’s still current. My nephew Theo in DC has joined our little group, and he seems to have the same words as we do. There was a bit of discussion amongst us all about PARER the other day. That is interesting, Diasporette, about its being used for a pencil sharpener (comment yesterday).

 

We were strung out along the track today: Ketki 2, Rachel 3, me and Alexander 4, Thomas 5. Silence from Mark, which is very unusual. Theo also scored two.

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:45 PM

    My Wordle is not numbered, but I can see that you and I have the same word each day. I found “parer” annoying (and I failed — should have been “paper,” in my opinion).

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you click on the little gear at the far right top, you should get a page with some information and at the very bottom in small letters is the number. At least it's that way for me,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:14 PM

    kayT, thanks for the information as where to find the number for each day's Wordle.
    My sisters and I all failed with PARER. It was a very annoying word! And we all tried PAPER.
    I managed in 3 today.
    There is a list of Past Wordle answers at this website: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/wordle-past-answers
    They never use a word twice. Is looking at this cheating?

    Congratulations Jean on finding the missing magazines. I know the frustration of missing instructions.
    Sarah in Manhattan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so pleased I missed yesterday's wordle as I would never have got parer. I used a peeler for my potatoes, not a parer, although I believe one of the mystifying items in my mother's manicure set may have been for paring her nails? Sausage supper has been a standby recipe in all its variations for years, and I'm glad you enjoy it too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. =Tamar12:29 AM

    Well done, finding the magazines! A few of my books have been valued at absurd prices; I have occasionally printed out a screenshot of the page with the price and tucked it into the book. But in my opinion it is only meaningful if a copy actually sold at that price.
    "Parer" - I, too, call it a paring knife. "Parer" sounds like a magazine-article term.

    ReplyDelete
  6. a parer is not a knife as such. I believe it is used for peeling carrots etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Regarding you knitting magazines, Jean, my father (now 93 and very much alive!) passed on the advice that one should have a box in which notes for your family can be kept; obvious stuff like where to find The Will for example. But it occurs to me that one could notes like 'please give the knitting magazines to ... if you don't want them.' or other useful information on the background of various bits and pieces. We've got as far as creating the file, but I think I'm going to start adding to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe I'm in a slightly alternate universe? PARER is the second wordle word that was discussed enough that I know didn't match. It's strange....

    ReplyDelete