Saturday, September 10, 2022

 

We had an adventure today. Helen and David and I went to Holyrood.

 

I haven’t done any knitting. Maybe later. What I have done is wind another skein for the MKAL. I ready for the off.




 

It took me a full hour this morning. There was a bit of tangle trouble. Has anyone written a PhD thesis yet explaining how, with both ends secure, yarn can get itself into so much trouble? Still, the winding is done.

 

The package consisted of five skeins, two each of the two main colours and one accent colour. I am showing you the unwound skeins of the main colours, because they show up better that way. I am pleased with all three. The two main colours aren’t quite solid.

 

So: we went to Holyrood this morning. There was a modest-sized crowd and lots of flowers. I got interviewed by Independent Television and Helen says I talked sensibly. I didn’t think to worry until afterwards about my wholly un-Edinburgh accent. I did worry about whether I had spinach on my teeth, as we had come straight from breakfast which is always, in my case, wilted spinach with a poached egg. This doesn’t mean they’ll use the interview on television, by any means.

 

Then we got to watch a rehearsal for – apparently – the arrival of the coffin tomorrow afternoon. Lots of kilted soldiers and a brass band wearing trousers. There was a professional tour guide in our little group. He said that Elizabeth II was the first monarch since James V to die in Scotland. (Fotheringhay Castle where Mary QofS was executed is in England somewhere.) He wondered if they would put the Honours of Scotland (=crown jewels) on the coffin when it was lying in state in the cathedral. (That happens on Monday.) I have since learned that he was right about that. I think we might try to take up a position on the Royal Mile on Monday to see the coffin and the King and Queen go past on their way to the cathedral.

 

Wordle: It was a bit tricky today. Three for Alexander, four for Mark and Ketki, five for me and Rachel, six for Thomas. Rachel and Mark and I all had the same configuration: greens in positions 2, 4, and 5. Rachel and I guessed wrong twice, Mark only once.  

14 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:19 PM

    Yes, there you are on ITV! I opened ITV News on mt iPad and clicked on The Queen among the topics across the top. Then scrolled down to the third row if windows and selected one that said “Insights” about reactions in Scotland. You looked and sounded quite smart!

    Annie, California.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:24 PM

      PS. There is also the written interview in the text below the video.

      Delete
  2. Found you quite by chance - and thought "I know that face!" You sounded very sensible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:39 AM

    I found it! You sound wonderful. Maybe not Edinburgh, but not really American, either.

    Beverly in NJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:48 AM

    I didn’t even notice that you sounded - somewhat - American. Very often an American accent (such as mine) in a sea of British voices, jumps right out at you. You sounded great. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shandy1:54 PM

    So wonderful to see you on this news snippet - and making your point about the Union so clearly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary Lou3:17 PM

    Now I have to see if I can find you from over here! The yarn tangle is a physics problem I have yet to solve. Perhaps someone nautical has a rope-related solution.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:21 PM

    https://www.itv.com/news/2022-09-10/eyes-of-the-world-to-be-on-scotland-as-queen-begins-last-great-journey

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous3:33 PM

    Thanks to Beverly, I was able to see your news snippet, Jean! You certainly were very good!
    We have seen much of the proceedings on the BBC which we regularly watch as an antidote to American news, although PBS news is quite balanced.
    I continue to feel the loss.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous3:33 PM

    Sarah in Manhattan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Saw the news link. As always, well spoken Jean!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Judith in Ottawa3:13 AM

    The bit we want is falling down the page, but I think this is the direct link:
    https://www.itv.com/news/2022-09-10/eyes-of-the-world-to-be-on-scotland-as-queen-begins-last-great-journey

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous12:32 PM

    Great colours for the knitalong! I never thought I would like two-colour brioche, but I did enjoy it on a shawl a few years ago.
    I enjoyed reading your quote in the article - thanks to the commentors for the link!
    Lisa RR

    ReplyDelete
  13. MetriRebecca2:24 PM

    Jean, I followed the link and saw the clip! I thought you came off very well indeed. I was amused that, in the longer quote from you that they put in the printed article, the reporter mistranscribed your “a tough row to hoe,” substituting “road” for “row.” Perhaps it is an American idiom?

    ReplyDelete