Sunday, September 11, 2022

 

If there’s one memory in my life which in any way resembles what is happening now, it would be the death of President Kennedy. A real-world event, out there in the realm of television and reporters, and of interest to the entire world, but at the same time an event that shakes one as if it had happened within one’s own family.

 

I have been watching the progress of the royal hearse from Balmoral for much of the afternoon (while knitting). The crowds are substantial in the country, huge in Edinburgh – and for tomorrow’s short procession we will have the King walking along behind, and perhaps other royals. I haven’t a hope of getting there. I even tried googling in the hopes of finding out whether there was any provision for the disabled. I gather not.

 

There was a touching bit in the progress of the hearse, somewhere near Balmoral, where 18 or 20 farmers had got together and lined their tractors up in a salute, on both sides of the road.

 

There seems to be a link among yesterday’s comments to my own small contribution. I am too embarrassed to test it – but thank you.

 

The knitting progresses well, but ribbing is slow. I’m doing the 9th of 13 rounds. Finish tomorrow? (This is final ribbing at the bottom of the top-down Evendoon, for the second time because length has been added. Neck ribbing remains to be done.)

 

The subject of Gibson’s Bakery and Oberlin College rather got knocked on the head by Thursday’s events, but I mean to return to it.

 

Wordle: Four for me and Alexander and Ketki today, five for Mark. Thomas was the star, with three. I particularly like scoring four. In the early days, when my use of Jean-words was much more liberal than it is now, I established five as my commonest result. My ambition now is to see the “four” line longer. We’re pretty close – 63 to 67.

 

 

 

 

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:34 PM

    As for the tangles yarn can achieve... You may like to compare this with Jerome K Jerome's observations on the antics of a tow-rope. Three Men in a Boat.

    Helen (Anon)

    ReplyDelete
  2. =Tamar1:57 AM

    I believe that part of the yarn tangling is due to the stresses built in when it is spun and plied. Plying is supposed to balance the yarns but it isn't always possible. I believe blocking helps settle it. I also believe it is also related to why some round knitting twists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tamar! I've been trying to reduce my roving stash by spinning it, and you've clarified some of the difficulties I am having -- I'm a novice spinner, no matter how much I have spun in the past . . . .

      Delete
  3. So pleased that someone posted the link yesterday. You spoke very movingly.

    ReplyDelete