Saturday, September 17, 2022

 

C. and I met Kathy of Kathy’s Knits this morning as we were setting out on our adventure. She said she had had a tour group in yesterday (Friday the l6th) and that two of its members had asked after me – but she didn’t know who you were. So I want to know:

         a) Who were you?

         b) What was the nature of the tour?

         c) Did you go on to the Ginger Twist Studio, not far away? (Or had you just been there?)

 

Kathy’s speciality is British yarns. The excitement of Ginger Twist (a very small shop) is Ginger’s own yarn colours.

 

Then C. and I went to Roslyn where we had a wonderful time. Quinn is nearly four weeks old and a very bonny baby. His parents seem to be bearing up pretty well considering, and so is his brother Hamish. There are two kittens left, eight weeks old I think someone said, leaving for their new hones next week. They are bonny too.

 

Knitting: not much done. The main problem is finding patterns. At the worst, I could buy them again -- Coofle and Macchu Picchu are both missing. The severe-est loss, however, is four consecutive issues of Knitter’s Magazine containing Meg’s expansion and elucidation of the EPS. I’ve got the original EPS in one of her books somewhere. And I’ve got a page of my own notes and numbers (largely unintelligible) from a recent knitting of it. But where are those magazines?

 

Wordle: We’re all back in the saddle today. Three for me, Rachel, Alexander, and Mark. Four for Thomas. Two for Rachel.

 

Yesterday’s unsatisfactory word was PARER. If it means “paring knife”, that is the term which would be far more commonly used in this country. Not that American solvers seemed any happier with it than we over here were.

8 comments:

  1. "Parer" is the word we used for a pencil sharpener in primary school in the 1970s. I don't think I've heard the word used since then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. =Tamar5:14 AM

    I did a websearch, and now I'm puzzled. The four issues from 2000 (issues 58-61) are apparently sold out most places (and absurdly expensive), but the descriptions indicate the Adult Surprise Jacket was updated in the Fall issue, number 60. No specific mention of the EPS in the descriptions- just "A Four-Part Sweater".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:51 AM

    Parer is not word I've ever heard. I was defeated, almost for the first time, having got through pacer and pager and paler ......well, can't always win and luckily I don't bother counting streaks and so on. I just like the mental exercise of solving the puzzle tout seul, with no Hints or help and using my own choice of starter word.
    On a good day, I go on to do Lordle which is the same concept but only accepts 5 letter words used in Tolkien's The Lord of The Rings. There is no penalty for trying a word which is not in the book, but I enjoy trying never to guess one which would not be acceptable.
    JennyS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:57 AM

    Oh, and after several rounds of "where's that pattern" here, I now keep all paper patterns filed in a separate pile of their own. Mostly it helps. They have to make it to the pile first.
    In your particular case, might the Coofle pattern have been bagged with the yarn?
    Oh, and Coofle was in the Inkling club and book, where there is both a paper book and an e-book. did you not join that one?
    JennyS

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish it had been my friends and I in Kathy's store yesterday, but we did visit her shop in the summer of 2018 after we had come from our wonderful Shetland Wool Adventures tour. I knew of the shop from reading your blog, and we had a wonderful hour or two adding to our hefty collection of yarn. A year later, one of our group was at Rhinebeck (NY Sheep and Wool Festival) wearing a scarf she knit from yarn purchased at Kathy's; just by chance she ran into Cathy in the midst of thousands of knitters at the festival.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3:21 PM

    I've been thinking it for several Wordles that were discussed - I have different words! I go to the NYT page so I'm wondering what causes the difference? Anyway, off to do today's!
    RedH

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary Lou3:23 PM

    I think parer is rather obscure. A paring knife, yes, but not a parer. I can take a look and see if I scanned the updated EPS articles. However, my naming of scanned items is rather haphazard, so no promises!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous11:36 PM

    I was one of the two ~ long time reader and on a trip via Edinburgh to Shetland and back. Lovely yarn and talk from Lucy Hague. I had remembered your mentions of Kathy. Leveled by Covid upon return, hence the delay in response.

    ReplyDelete