Thursday, February 10, 2022

 

A colder, showery day, still with sunshine. Again I didn’t walk. Not good.

 

And the knitting needles didn’t come. Also not good. I’ve had a message from a delivery company called Hermes saying that there was a “problem” with delivering my package on Tuesday (presumably the needles – I don’t think I’m expecting anything else) and that they would try again the next day, namely Wednesday. But they didn’t. I have decided that my simplest course of action is to wait until Monday and then alert the sender. I’ll probably get them in the end.

 

Meanwhile I have started Mary Lou’s “Aroon” pattern on an inferior needle, and am sailing ahead. It starts with a narrow border of garter stitch in the contrast colour, then switches to st st in the main colour and one knits peacefully on. The garter stitch border is – predictably – flipping up, but I suspect blocking will take care of that and there may be some twists and turns of the pattern to tame it before then. I haven’t read it through (potential fatal mistake, but I’ve knit Mary Lou’s patterns before and trust myself in her hands). I’m very happy with my colours. And it’s nice to be knitting something that gets longer the more I knit. Picture soon.

 

I finished the new Fruity Knitting. There was nothing of particular interest for me. Andrea is in Australia visiting family. She says she had to make the entire journey, on Emerates, without her knitting. Agony. That has never happened to me, not even when I visited the US fairly soon after nine-eleven, but I stuck to sock-knitting and little wooden needles.

 Of my other on-going stories:

The secret of loading Freecell seems to be to let the computer warm up thoroughly before I try. All is well on that front.

And my salad factory continues active and productive. I was afraid it would be a total waste because I often include salad leaves in my grocery order and let them go bad. But so far I have harvested five or six respectable-sized salads from the Factory and have eaten every bite, with pleasure. There’s not much point in taking pictures any more – the harvests means that it stays pretty much the same size.

4 comments:

  1. It must be much more entertaining and satifying to pick your own home-grown salad leaves than pulling them out of a packet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hermes is a law unto itself. Last November they left a parcel on my front doorstep, taking a picture of the - closed - door to show that it had been delivered. They emailed this to me; not much use as we were away. On our return, no surprise to find that someone had helped himself to my parcel. However, since it contained a book called "The Medieval Clothier" I felt that the thief might have been a tad disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Shandy, I'm enjoying picturing the thief opening it up. I see the book is almost 400 pages, so it must have looked like a tempting package.

      Delete
  3. I hope your trust in me is rewarded! The side seams, the garter band on the front worked in the opposite direction, and the picking up of the button band helps counteract the flip. I hope it works for you!

    ReplyDelete