Sunday, February 27, 2022

 

We had a beautiful spring day today – March, in fact, often comes in like a lamb and goes out like a lion, contrary to its reputation. Helen and I got across the road and into the garden, but not much further. I have trouble with my left hip; it was much sorer than usual today. So we limped home.

 

I receive almost daily communications from the Harvard Medical School recommending that I buy one or other of their “courses” on various physical problems. Today it was knees and hips, so I bit. I wasn’t impressed. First of all, they asked for a zip code along with my credit card details. Why on earth? I had already supplied a terrestrial address which made it clear that I lived in a country other than the USofA. I finally gave up on that one and supplied my sister’s zip code, with which they were perfectly happy. And secondly, the “course” itself was singularly lacking in helpful suggestions about painful hips. Swimming was recommended.

 

Wordle in four. I watched a Fruity Knitting in which I wasn’t very interested because a lot of it was about embroidery – but it was perfect to knit to, because I didn’t need to look at it much, and I got quite a bit done.

 

I thought a bit about what to knit next – something for the baby wee Hamish will be the big brother of in August. If the sex is known, Christina and Manaba will keep it to themselves. I went to the Schoolhouse Press for inspiration, and found the answer as soon as I walked in the virtual door: a baby surprise. I haven’t knit one of those for a long time, and it’s very good fun. And of course a brilliant stash-buster. Do I want Cully Swansen’s book “A Perfect Surprise”?  It’s rather expensive, but… I was interested to learn – I must already have known and forgotten – that it was for him that the very first one was knitted, by his grandmother EZ.

 

5 comments:

  1. =Tamar7:41 PM

    I gather that there are some very interesting variations on the Surprise jacket. The book may have some new ones. is there a "look inside" feature? Even the table of contents may be helpful.

    Baby clothes are pretty much unisex nowadays. I think I'd go for a mix of bright colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Baby Surprise is fun! And a wonderful stash buster. As a garment, I prefer the Tomten. I've made quite a few of those, but with zippers. I know zippers are not a favorite of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:08 AM

    I own the next to last (before Cully's book) series of patterns including all sizes of the BSJ. Maybe now is time to hunker down and and join the fun. If only I could decide on a yarn. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:17 AM

    Jean, if you have hip pain might it not be an idea to go to the GP and get it checked out? They should be able to quickly assess the cause and to presecibe one of a range of anti-inflammatories or pain reliefs which would be appropriate to the cause in your particular case. This would make it possible for you to move longer distances and to maintain more muscle strength....my parents thought hip pain was something that you just had to put up with, and much regretted the later weakness which ensued.

    JennyS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not a course, but someone recommended a book to me at the 1st of the year called "Strong Women Stay Young" about a study at Tufts University in the late 1990s done on older women. The program is based on 8 simple exercises, 6 with small weights. Each exercise is done 8 times, then repeated for a total of 16 repetitions. The whole thing take about 1/2 hour and is done twice a week. Results showed they all showed gains in muscle strength and bone density and also improved balance. I added the program to my current routine and after only a month, I can tell the difference. Might be something to look at with Helen and your doctor.

    ReplyDelete