Wednesday, February 02, 2022

 

I have felt very weak today. The problem will be getting from where I am, with the computer, at one end of my long house, to the other, where the bedroom is. Alexander came today – I haven’t seen him since before Christmas. We tried to walk, but got only about halfway between my front door and the gate to Drummond Place Gardens before turning back.

 

He brought me Kolymsky Heights to read, by Lionel Davidson. It certainly starts very well. It doesn’t feel familiar at all, but I have a half-memory that my husband and I started reading it as our bedtime book, and then he was whisked away into hospital (as happened from time to time, during his last months) and when they set him free, we would have had to start again, but decided not to, and started something else. Perhaps Proust, which we were reading when he died. But if so, where is our earlier copy?

 

I got Wordle in three this morning. I have two words which I use as starters – I thought they were homonyms, but Wikipedia makes it sound more complicated. Anyway, two words, pronounced identically, spelled differently and with radically different meanings, like "weak" and "week".  If I had chosen the other one this morning, it’s possible I might have got it in two. I do hope the New York Times doesn’t spoil things.

 

Knitting: C. came early this morning, and carried the Calcutta Cup vest off for her grandson. She says that the family is going to some club or other on Saturday, to watch the match on a big screen. Wee Hamish will of course be a member of the party, so the vest will have an admiring audience.

 

I am afraid that Scotland might win again, since the match is here in Edinburgh, which always helps, and the English are going to be short of several key players due to injury. But Alexander says that they have such depth of talent to draw from, that they’ll be fine.

 

Mary Lou has most kindly sent me a few of her baby patterns. My next effort is going to be her “Aroon” pattern., for the 7th London great-granddaughter, due in April.  I spent some time this morning looking through stash and thinking about the problem, but got no further than that. Action will be required tomorrow. Meanwhile I knit Machu Picchu and counted stitches – but this can’t go on indefinitely, or it will be too long.

6 comments:

  1. I hadn’t seen that the NYT purchased wordle. I hope, like the NYT Mini crossword, another daily pleasure remains free and simple. I vary my first word in wordle, and now have begun intuiting a new first word to use. Some days it helps, some days it doesn’t!

    ReplyDelete
  2. =Tamar2:19 AM

    Goodness, Machu Picchu is coming along nicely!

    Aroon looks like the perfect choice - simple and quick, with an easy wrap fit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the vest, and like everyone else, look forward to a picture with Hamish inside it.
    Yesterday we had cold meat and salad and No Knead Bread for supper. The bread is delicious; I woke up this morning thinking about it! Did you know there is Byrdle (choral music related) Prayrdle and even Sweardle loose on the internet now? I haven't tried the last yet. Hope you feel more lively soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take my bits and pieces (book, kindle, diary) up to bed in a bag. Perhaps your laptop could be transported in a bag slung crosswise over your body for safety?

      Delete
  4. It sounds like you are describing homophones rather than homonyms (e.g. their and there are homophones whereas "to pen" is a homonym as it could mean restraining animals or writing).
    Aroon looks a very useful garment for a baby gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. =Tamar6:15 PM

    The dictionary tells me a homonym is a sound-alike, and may be spelled the same or differently. A homonym that is also spelled the same is sometimes now distinguished as a homograph, but it's still a homonym.
    Either way, it's a clever tactic. But does the same word work for every game?

    ReplyDelete