Thursday, February 24, 2022

 

A sad day for the world.

 

The weather has been cold and hostile here, with a powdering of snow at first. I didn’t walk. The tax accountant came back with lots of returns for me to sign. Once I’ve paid her – no small amount – that should be that, tax-wise, for nearly a year. It’s a good feeling. Helen has recently exercised her Enduring Power of Attorney and now has access to my bank accounts. She is going to go up to the splendid Royal Bank of Scotland branch in St Andrew Square and pay what the accountant says I owe the Queen. That will be strangely easier than doing it myself on the computer. But it still left me too flat to slog around Drummond Place Gardens.

 

I finished that first front of the Aroon jacket at last.

 

It took me all six guesses to get Wordle this morning. I saw some headlines as I was firing it up which suggested that some people disapproved of today’s word because it was too British. I disapproved because it was too slang-y. It’s not a word I would ever use.

 

Helen pointed out this morning that she was nearly as old as my husband was when he retired. It’s a disconcerting thought, and even more true of her sib (Helen is the youngest). Alexander’s 62nd birthday looms – he’s the one who has never been forgiven for not being born on the 29th of February.


My land line is still not working, I don't even know how to approach the problem, but I realised today that I had better figure it out and do it, because if it isn't working my falls alarm -- I wear it around my neck -- isn't either. 

 

 

 

 

10 comments:

  1. Six guesses for me too - definitely not a word I expected!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on getting your taxes sorted out. That must be a good feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unbelievably, I got Wordle in 2 goes, and like you, it is a word that I would never use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got it in two also, after playing 45 times that was my first in two…..and I wouldn’t use the word either, being American.

      Delete
    2. I did as well! And would never use it, either. Odd. A relief to have the taxes done no matter what. I dropped mine with the accountant today.

      Delete
  4. =Tamar10:19 PM

    It's always a relief when the paperwork is done.
    Congratulations on the knitting!
    After two glorious days, it's cool and drizzly again here in Maryland.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m solidly American and I guessed it in four. It’s not a word I would use, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Got it in four also. I got help from you all tho because I hadn't done it when I read your comments I can't say it was a word I would never use, but probably would only use it humorously.

    Finding your children growing older must be a bit disconcerting. I remember my mom was discussing her latest dental work and my grandmother said you know you're old when your daughter has false teeth!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:56 AM

    Oh to be 60 again. So much still lay ahead. Trying to guess The Word. But the word I have in mind (based on the Comments) has too many letters. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this comment so much! Thank you

      Delete