Sunday, February 20, 2022

 

Wordle in three this morning, and I sort of see what you people mean about algorithms. I have five possible starters, and today chose the one which proved to be the most useful for today’s word – pure luck. It gave me two greens and a brown. I thot the brown was almost certainly in box 2, but wasted a whole guess in establishing that fact, and eliminating another consonant. Then it was simply a matter of finding any word which fitted my three greens. But if I had been brave enough to assume that that brown was in square 2 – it had to be, and it was – I might have had it in two.

 

Not too bad a day. C. came, and we got around the garden. But no knitting at all. Maybe later.

 

Knit, Fold, Pleat, Repeat: It’s fascinating. Highly recommended. I doubt if I’ll ever knit from it – no more than I have from her cable or travelling stitch books, which are high on my list of the most important books on my shelves. She starts with a rectangle…

 

Each pattern is followed by a page or two headed “Design your own”. You flatter us, Norah. What those pages provide is a blow-by-blow of Norah’s own struggles with that design, and they’re fascinating. We’ve got to swatch, again and again.

 

The book reminded me strongly of something I used to have, and to knit from: a book of bizarre and interesting scarves. But I can’t pin it down in memory, and I can’t find it amongst my scarf books. Maddening.

 

Kate Davies’ pattern for club members thus week is another good one. And the essay about an abandoned village on the Cowel peninsula is also good.

 

My (currently) youngest great-granddaughter was christened yesterday. Rachel sent pictures of many little girls whom I don’t recognise, but I think I can assure you that this is the star of the day, with her parents Joe and Becca:




 

 

 

 

7 comments:

  1. Might the book you are thinking about be Knitting New Scarves by Lynne Barr? it is full of scarves with interesting constructions.

    else

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or Scarf Style, edited by Ann Budd, published in 2004 by the Interweave Knits folks?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it fascinating that we all start with random different words and yet somehow manage to find the right word. I did it in three too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:09 PM

    'Knitting New Scarves'?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I barely made it through today! I agree with you re. Norah Gaughan. I purchase her books for their genius, and what I can learn, but rarely make anything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. =Tamar2:03 AM

    Buying books is like buying skeins of yarn. Some are for heavy use and some are to be pretty...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:23 PM

      Oh, so true.
      -- Gretchen (aka stashdragon)

      Delete