Saturday, February 26, 2022

 

France beat Scotland by a rather embarrassing number of points. Wales are now playing England but I don’t feel strong enough to watch, or terribly interested.

 

Still, I got Wordle in three and there was mention in this morning’s newspaper about how difficult yesterday’s was. It was VIVID – the double use of both I and V was what made it hard, so I feel all right about my score of six. Indeed, rather pleased to have got it.

 

Helen came, and we got around the garden, not without effort and perhaps for the first time since Monday. I had a burst of unreflecting optimism the other day: the snowdrops are beginning to look shop-worn; the daffodils are coming up strongly behind them. Soon, I thought, it will be full-scale spring and I will feel stronger too. Only, alas, the chances are good that I won’t.

 

I got some knitting done, as hoped, during the rugby. I’m doing the second cross-over front on the Aroon baby-jacket, and doing the increases for the slope in this direction isn’t quite as easy as it was for the first side. But I think I’m getting the hang of it.

 

Kate Davies’ “Argyll’s Secret Coast” club has produced another good pattern – a many-coloured stranded hat called The Queen of Auchtachoan. I even wondered for a moment whether I wanted to send for a kit. But it’s expensive, and I’ve got too long a list of must-knits. I remain tempted, too, by the two-sided cable scarf which was last week’s pattern. There has been no essay yet for this week.

 

Last week’s essay was about the remains of a ruined village. We’ve got one of those on the outskirts of Kirkmichael, and other ruined houses as well. I hope there’s some speculation, at least, about their history in our now 60-year accumulation of family observations and notes.

 

And speaking of 60 years: Chloe, Helen greatly enjoyed your comment on Thursday -- “Oh to be 60 again!” She’s just had that birthday.

8 comments:

  1. I missed the wordle that was the slang word, so am intrigued as to what it was. I tried 'livid' as my last guess. Close, but no cigar, as someone used to say. (Who? When?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The slang word was BLOKE. i have an avid player in the house. Playing 3 different versions of the game.

      Delete
  2. Finally got Vivid, but always forget that some letters are used twice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used livid then vivid and squeaked by! As Tamar says, direct sunlight helps, even in small doses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I surprised myself and got vivid in three! Probably would have used livid first but had already eliminated the L.

    ReplyDelete
  5. =Tamar2:03 AM

    Around the garden! It's daily effort that does it. I keep reminding myself that babies develop their core strength by trying every day; we just don't realize how much exercise they get.
    It was sunny and pleasant here today.

    "Close but no cigar" is from carnival games in the 19th century and later - if you won you got a cigar. If you didn't, the barker would announce how close you came to get you to try (and pay) again. It was used metaphorically in a headline in 1929.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:18 PM

    Happy birthday, Helen! We loved our sixties and -knock on wood - our seventies aren't too bad either. We walk a LOT, which helps deal with life's challenges. Jean I want to try Wordle but I have enough harmless addictions as it is:). But you might break me down yet:). Chloe

    ReplyDelete