Wednesday, February 23, 2022

 

Tuesday, February 22

 

There is little to report. Wordle in four. (The site says I now have a winning streak of five – and that that’s the longest I’ve ever had. So the pressure will be on, tomorrow.) My new accountant came to see me – with Helen for support – and showed me a lot of paper which proved, she said, that I owe a lot of tax. I don’t understand why they never ask me for it, if that is so. I believe Alexander is coming to see me tomorrow, and I can ask him about it.

 

In the afternoon Archie came, in order to be here when the graphics card arrived. As he was.

 

I’ve done a bit more knitting, and am ready for the border at the bottom of the first of the cross-over fronts of the Aroon jacket.

 

I wrote that much last night, and then forgot to post it. You didn’t miss much.

 

Alexander came to see me today. He brought a little tub of kimchi which Ketki had bought for me on the Byres Road. I used to push her husband along it in his pram, before kimchi was invented (or at least, before it was heard of) and before the Byres Road had chi chi shops. As it happened, I had put some of my latest batch of kimchi into an empty mustard pot to give Alexander, so we exchanged kimchis.

 

Wordle in four, so my winning streak is extended. It sounds as if Alexander always wins. And he thinks it’s quite normal for the income tax man not to ask me for the money I owe. It seems odd to me. Why don’t I just drift happily on, and leave them to settle up when I’m dead? I can’t do that, now that an accountant is involved. He also thought it was perfectly normal for my Visa card provider to query a small payment to GiffGaff (to keep my mobile telephone going) and nod through the purchase of a computer graphics card.

 

I’ve done a little more knitting: I’ve reached, but not finished, the border at the bottom of the first of the Aroon fronts

 

 

 

 

5 comments:

  1. About the credit card issue: People who steal card numbers generally put through a few small charges to make that the card is working before they make large purchases. So small amounts are often flagged for a fraud check.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got wordle on the second word! In the morning I sometimes choose a 5-letter word from whatever I'm reading. Today it was Evade. Who knew? I'm designing a shawl in a solid and variegated yarn, which I am nearly finished. I'll be ready for someone else's design. We had a big snowstorm yesterday, and I took out Ethan Frome, which I thought I had read, but I can't remember anything of it. I only know it had a lot of snow, so it seemed appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. =Tamar4:05 AM

    It's entirely possible that the new accountant has missed something. Mine once missed a rather large special case situation that would have saved me some money. They were using a standard computer program instead of doing it themselves.

    You say we didn't miss much, but we did - we missed hearing from you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:56 PM

    ...and a sled. As I recall it - sadly - didn't end well. Love the Kimchi exchange. So nice to have fun relationships with former filial prom occupants. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I saw the reference to Ethan Frome, I also remembered the Sled....but little else. I may need to reread this book.
    I am re reading The Hare with the Amber Eyes after seeing an exhibit of these netsuke at the Jewish Museum in New York. I remember loving the book when I first read it, but now I am getting so much more having seen the exhibition with all the attendant art that Charles collected and photos of his rooms.
    And Kimchi: my Korean born daughter surprised me when she announced that she was making kimchi! As a child she liked it but often dismissed references to her birth heritage.

    ReplyDelete