Monday, February 21, 2022

 

Else and Anonymous (comments yesterday): You’re right, Lynne Barr’s Knitting New Scarves is the book I was trying to remember. I knew as soon as I read your comments, because I have a friend whose name is Chris Barr. (We hear a lot about Artificial Intelligence these days. I think the human brain will stay ahead as long as it can make completely illogical and correct leaps like that one.) It’s not on my scarf shelf, and I haven’t consulted it for years, so I ordered another. It was pretty cheap on Amazon because several libraries were de-accessioning it.

 

When I am gathered to my reward, which can’t be far off now, if my children notice duplicate copies when they are clearing the house, they will think, poor old thing, she forgot she had it and bought another. Not a bit of it: she knows she has it, and is desperate to consult its pages. Drop Dead Easy Knits is another of which I have two: I was desperate in that case, I think, to knit Mary Lou’s Pollywog pattern again.

 

My card seems to be functioning again. (See Thursday the 17th) I ordered a graphics card for Archie today. He’s going to pay me back in instalments. You’d think if the Accts Dept were on the ball, they’d wonder why a blameless old woman in Drummond Place wanted a graphics card. It wasn’t cheap.

 

I spent some more time with the new Gaughan book. It gets more and more interesting. But for us mortals, EZ is much more use. But I love Meg’s anecdote in her book Knitting, introducing the Box-the-Compass sweater. EZ had the idea of rotating the four raglan seams of her EPS sweater so that they ran up the sleeve top, and mid-front and mid-back. She went ahead and knit a whole adult sweater. Her idea  worked fine on the sleeves “but the centers front and back stood out in sharp cone-shaped points. Even in the face of that physical evidence – so unused was she to being wrong – Elizabeth came up and patted me on the breastbone. ‘Oh, that’ll block out,’ she said. Nuh-uh.”

 

No knitting again today – but I got around the garden with Daniela, and I got Wordle in three again. Pure luck: my starter word produced one brown tile. I tried another starter in the second row, and got two more browns. In the third row I thot I’d try one of my browns in the first place – it can be useful to know the starting letter. I managed to think of a word that did that and also incorporated the other two. Bingo! But pure luck.

 

I heard from my sister today. She and her husband are in a retirement community in DC. She says she is under a lot of pressure to try Wordle but is so far resisting. That must be true of many of you, and you must forgive me if you can for rabbiting on about it.

 

 

7 comments:

  1. Why would anyone resist Wordle? I do it first thing,followed by Quordle,which does take slightly longer. I guess it could be discouraging to start the day drawing a blank, but one has the
    Times crossword for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got it in 3 today, as well. Lucky guess. Sometimes I think of all those grammar classes from the nuns, and which letters were seen together. Voyages in English anyone? “When two vowels go walking, the first one does the talking!”

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got it in 3 too today. My daughter who has a degree in English & Linguistics resisted it til 3 days ago even though I kept telling her she would love it and she does.
    I sometimes buy a 2nd copy of a book when it is reissued/updated and has one or two new patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Irresistible! Got it in three today, and wrote a post about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. =Tamar10:32 PM

    Some of my updated books have left out things I wanted to keep, so I keep the older edition as well. Not to mention reprints that put the color pictures into black and white, or make them tiny, or change the text. I have extra copies of some books because they have different introductions or a different artist did the illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:44 AM

    Dupllicate books - there was one that I was very sad to miss so was delighted fo find it on a cheap site. When it arrived I thought where do I put it = Ah, right beside the original copy!


    ReplyDelete
  7. And the joys of home printers; I can print off a copy of the pattern to marks up and keep in the bag with the pattern without spoiling the book! I do that with piano music too, especially when teaching children; colouring in the bars to make it easier for them to learn. How did we manage before?

    ReplyDelete