Wednesday, February 16, 2022

 

Hamlet to Polonius:

 

“Use every man after his desert and who should ‘scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity. The less they deserve, the more merit is in your bounty.”

 

That’s a propos yesterday’s comments, of course. I continue to feel a good deal more sorry for Harry Dunn’s parents than for either Prince Andrew or Virginia Giuffre.

 

Change of topic: when I was young, in the early ‘50’s, airplanes were beginning to take over from trains, in the US, as the way to get from one place to another. And the trains used to advertise: “You go, weather or no.” Today we are having a forecast storm, and all the trains in this part of Scotland stopped an hour and a half ago. When I sat down here, that seemed wholly absurd, but the wind is getting more noisy now. Weather forecasting is a lot better than it used to be.

 

It wasn’t bad at all this morning, and Helen and I got around the garden. She had just driven David to the airport. He should have been well away before the storm. We occupied ourselves wondering how I will manage when Daniela goes to Rumania for her summer holiday. Helen will be teaching mosaic-making on top of Mount Pelion when that happens.

 

I failed at Wordle. I got the first two letters.

 

But I did advance the knitting. Here it is:



Love that semi-solid yarn!


8 comments:

  1. I too like your yarn, and the colour looks delicious. Good news for me today about grandchild knitting - the 2-yr-old doesn't tolerate even soft wool sweaters (she says "off!") but happily wears wool toques/beanies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Wordle offer seems to have been complicated by the NYT takeover. I was surprised that some five letter words are not thought acceptable on their word-list. But perhaps this points up a level of cultural sensitivity which one might expect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I read, the change had more to do with obscure words although a few others deemed possibly offensive were changed as well. My husband was still playing the original Wordle and I had The NY Times version the other day….his answer was Agora, mine was Aroma. He only got it because he had letters in the right places, he had to look up the meaning, neither of us had ever heard the word….

      Delete
    2. I would not have got that word as I would have thought of it as part of "Agoraphobia". I bet Jean would have got it though. But "caulk" was causing problems yesterday and I did get that.

      Delete
  3. The color in Aron looks lovely! Glad to see my error hasn’t led you too far astray!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to my son James, I am going to have a try at Wordle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. =Tamar5:07 PM

    The perfect color to be knitting in such weather.
    If you can't go out, you might walk down the hall and back, or make extra trips to get things one at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you for digging in and throwing a little distraction about the Dunn's and then quoting Hamlet to intellectualise your refusal to call PA out for the disgusting worm that he is. You keep sticking to your principles, and in the meantime, another reader lost. Good health to you Jean.

    ReplyDelete