Friday, February 04, 2022

Fight fiercely, Harvard

 

I failed at Wordle today, and have just finished a titanic struggle to make a substantial on-line payment to my dentist. I’ll be glad to hear that it’s been received. So I come to you frazzled and weak.

 

I didn’t walk. It’s been more than a week now. Daniela massaged my unreliable left hip again, and it feels better. Maybe tomorrow. Would I like to apply Deep Heat?

 

C. came this morning. She says that wee Hamish’s Calcutta Cup vest fits fine and is much admired by his parents. She had a picture – not good enough to show you – of the boy wearing it over his pyjamas and a cosy sweater. The fit is obviously what we were aiming at – generous, but not absurdly so. Christina and Manaba (parents) have promised to take pictures of him watching the match with them tomorrow. Those I will relay.

 

And I knit peacefully forward on Machu Picchu, not very far.

 

Comments: Gemma, thank you. “Semi-solid”, indeed, for the yarn I have ordered. I continue to semi-regret not ordering grey.

 

I’m glad I’m not the only Wordle player here. My fear under the New York Times regime is not so much that I would have to pay – I wouldn’t do it, and that would be that – as that there might be more than one a day. It would spoil the whole thing. Perhaps I’ll start with “spoil” tomorrow.

9 comments:

  1. Having read something on the internet I chose PLEAD to start. The rest was inevitable.i thought I would design a cowl using knit and purl but after a month of knitting in the round my brain is exploding with purls turning into knits and vice versa for right and wrong side. There's more to this pattern designing lark, even at its simplest than meets the eye. Differential calcuy was a doddle by comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess @GingerTwistStudio does a couple of lovely shades of grey in her Hand Dyed Leading Lady Lace 'Hocus Pocus' and Hand Dyed Masham Mayhem 4ply 'Au Naturel'.She's just knitted an outfit for her baby in them which can be seen on her Instagram page. Wonder whether a physiotherapist would help with your hip?

    ReplyDelete
  3. =Tamar9:33 PM

    Seconding the idea of a physiotherapist, if only to rule out some possibilities. He husband of a woman I knew was in severe difficulty and a good physio gave him carefully observed exercises to do and he was right as rain in a month or so.

    I would not ignore the likelihood that the current weather has something to do with it, as well.

    Hooray for knitting that fits as planned!

    ReplyDelete
  4. =Tamar9:34 PM

    Oh, sheesh. I meant, of course, The husband, not he husband.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:15 PM

    I'm going to third the physiotherapist. I've been struggling with knee trouble for months. Fearing surgery might be required, I resisted. Turns out 4 weeks of PT & I'm so much better!

    Beverly in NJ

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree a good physical therapist can work wonders with the correct exercises for you. It's finding a good one, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh, can I "forth" the physical therapist? I have had a good result from seeing a PT for a painful hip, a tennis elbow and a frozen shoulder (from lifting a grandchild too much) All these ailments were years apart but the result was so good I continued. I did have a prescription from my physician and it is covered with my insurance and medicare. I now know the exercises well enough that I can do the stretches the minute that I sense a problem.
    And concerning kimchi; I also make mine, the few times I do it myself, by chopping the cabbage; so much easier than trying to cut it after it is fermented. Koreans have large scissors to cut up the kimchi and other dishes. With only a long handled spoon and chopsticks at table, all the pieces need to be small.

    ReplyDelete