Monday, February 07, 2022

Daniela and I got around the garden this morning. It’s the first time since the colonography that I’ve made the circuit, and I didn’t entirely expect to finish. So that’s something done.

 

And I’ve done some more knitting, although the length of the Machu Picchu seems unaffected. Perhaps I’ll get down on the carpet and measure it there. I’m afraid of not being able to get up again, but if I did it in the morning while Daniela is here…

 

Perdita has got to go to the vet tomorrow, on Helen’s and Archie’s insistence. She needs to have matted fur shaved off her back, and she needs an opinion on her chronic inflamed teats. I am a good deal more anxious and upset than I was for my own procedure recently. Fortunately the cat is spared worry. I am inclined to let Helen (and perhaps Archie) do it without me. It might be easier for them anyway, since I am so feeble.

 

Daniela has been purging my kitchen of everything past its BBE date, on the grounds that it’s bad for me. Out goes soy sauce, mirin, rice vinegar, and today I discovered myself denuded of mustard. I was planning a Marmite sandwich (Nigella, “How To Eat”) for my supper, and discover with some relief that Marmite (BBE somewhere in 2017) has miraculously escaped.

 

Temperance: I may have discovered the secret of success: don’t keep Weston’s Vintage Cider in the house. I have a standing order with Amazon to deliver about a week’s worth, once a month. I can’t get more in much less than 48 hours. It’s not in the nearby local shops and Tesvo is too far away. This way, strength of character is not called for.  

 

Knitting: I forgot to say yesterday that Kate Davies also has a generous-sized cowl in that twisted-stitch argyle pattern. It looks cosy. It’s big enough to pull down over your shoulders, if you aren’t pulling it up around your ears.

 

Calcutta Cup etc: I’ll ask Christina and Manaba whether it’s all right to use the picture of Hamish as my title-picture. I agree, it would be ideal. I have a feeling that someone said – it must have been C., Hamish’s grandmother – that they try to keep him out of view electronically, for fear of embarrassing him. 

8 comments:

  1. Our ancient cats have given up grooming hard-to-reach bits, which, over the years seems like almost everywhere. I cautiously cut lumps out of McCavity's fur; stomach, back legs, shoulders, wherever I find them. Leo takes swipes at me when I tease out the tufts in hers. A daily chore. Downside of living like a cat. Let them take her, I'd say, then you won't be cast as the villain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For Gretchen, yesterday's comment. It's Tom Lehrer's The Elements.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eQOIPMxJM_k copy this into YouTube or search name and singer and you can hear it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:06 PM

      Thank you, Dawn!
      -- Gretchen (aka stashdragon)

      Delete
  3. Anonymous10:22 PM

    Just love the photo of Hamish in the amazing vest.
    Thanks for posting it!
    Lisa RR

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never worry about best by dates for condiments. Even dairy products, if it doesn’t smell off, or taste funny, I’ll use it. I bought some buttermilk today with an expiration date next week. I didn’t think buttermilk could spoil.

    ReplyDelete
  5. =Tamar1:28 AM

    Oh dear, most of those are the kind of thing that doesn't spoil anyway. Those 'best by' dates are only about best _flavor_, not any kind of a danger. At least they seem to be readily replaceable.

    Congratulations on getting around the garden!
    Definitely let Helen take the cat to the groomer/vet, and let her be the one to put the cat in the carrier if there is any trouble with that. Cats have long memories of things that annoyed them, and hold grudges.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also vote for letting Helen take Perdita to the vet. Yes, as cats get older they need us to help with their grooming.
    Hamish in his new vest was just so cute, I had forgotten that it may not be the best thing to have his photo online. Another thing that people with bad intent have taken the fun out of.
    Congratulations on your garden walk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant result on the Calcutta vest! I had been surprised by your colour choices but it suits the child very well.

    ReplyDelete