Wednesday, February 22, 2023

 

A nice day, promising spring. But I didn’t go out. I did my exercises – are they actually becoming slightly easier? And knit successfully, and cooked a rather successful Mindful Chef lunch.

 

Here are Alexander and Ketki, somewhere in India (probably Gujerat). I knit a sweater for the bride – the daughter of one of Ketki’s sisters – when she was a toddler, but I doubt if I can find that picture.




 

I’ve embarked on the borders of the hap. Every row of the centre square begins with a YO, and the first thing to do is to slide a needle through each of them. from the front It’s not quite as easy as it sounds. Then knit around – but the stitches are now back to front, so that’s a bit slow. Then a purl round, then one with a lot of increases. That’s where I am at the moment. After another purl round, it’ll be k2tog, YO, all the way around, another purl round, and then we’ll be ready to start the colours and the feather and fan. As I remember, it is not quite as easy in garter stitch as it would be in st st, to ensure that the k2togs (of which there are many) are directly on top of each other.

 

Wordle: I don’t think there’s ever been a word we all found so difficult. Except for Mark, who scored a perfectly respectable four. There were two possible configurations today. One was grn, grn, ???, grn, grn. I got hung up there three times, and scraped home with six. The other was ???, grn. grn, grn, grn. Both Alexander and Thomas got stuck there, and both scored six. Ketki and Daughter Rachel had my pattern, and managed it in five. Theo and his father Roger over there in DC both failed – that’s never happened before in the history of the world. Roger had three shots at ???, grn, grn, grn, grn but missed them all.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:10 PM

    My mother would have chided me for using that word, we always said more ….

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. I could hardly bear to type it in as my fifth choice. Jean, nice to see Alexander and Ketki in their Indian clothes. The Old Shale section of Hansel is the "treat" part, although as a non-lace knitter I really had to concentrate on my first one.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous9:18 PM

    I failed today at Wordle. One sister managed it in 5 and the other in 6.
    Glad you are knitting and also doing those exercises. and happy that they seem a bit easier.
    Sarah in Manhattan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:39 PM

    If you enjoyed Bilgewater I would also recommend Queen of the Tambourine and Flight of the Maidens by Jane Gardam. I love the Hollow Land, which is intended as a children's book and tales a turn to science fiction towards the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary Lou11:27 PM

    Picking up those yarnovers can be a challenge! I got today's in five. It would have been six but for a lucky choice.

    ReplyDelete