Monday, February 06, 2023

 Thank you for all your suggestions about knitting for the Calcutta Cup. I don’t think a hat is big and serious enough for a victory. I knit one once for a draw (showing half the cup) and it got lost. But all is well. I wrote to Joe and Becca this morning and explained the situation and assured them that I would press ahead with the shawl even if they felt they wanted it Cup-less. But Joe replied at once to say that they might decide to bring this child up to support Scotland and would be delighted to have the Cup. So now all I’ve got to do is chart it with the new date. I’m approaching the centre of the hap which will be a fine place for it. The fact that the centre is knit corner to corner will add a certain piquancy, I feel.

 

I knit a few rows today: not much. Not much activity, either. I did cook the last and most complicated of last week’s Mindful Chef recipes. Helen was here this morning, a stalwart vegetarian. She agreed that tofu is not much use – that was the protein for the last Mindful Chef effort. And that jackfruit is hopeless. Today’s one was quinoa with roast vegetables. The only difficulty there is when I have to get the quinoa pan back across the kitchen from the stove to the sink, to drain the water after cooking. It’s not far; it can be done. But it's not entirely easy in my enfeebled state.

 

Wordle: Three for me today. I’m having a good month, so far. My starter words yielded four browns – an anagram-situation, which I don’t like. I struggled mightily, however, and finally thought of a word which qualified – not a very good one, in my opinion. But never mind that: it was right. Both Rachels and Mark joined me with that score. Fours elsewhere, except that Alexander needed five.

3 comments:

  1. regarding draining any pan that is used on the stove>> is there not space for another pan/large bowl and a colander to be used for draining? would be less dangerous, and could be emptied when liquid cooled. good on you for continuing to be independant xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:20 AM

    Quinoa doesn’t need draining. After washing to remove the saponins, drain and cook the quinoa with twice the quantity of water to grain. After the cooking time, turn off the heat and leave the quinoa a little while to absorb any remaining water. Fluff up and eat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:51 PM

    For future reference, if the quinoa situation is already in hand, even if there is no nearby countertop, how about just a pot atop the stove itself - if you can manage the leverage. Chloe

    ReplyDelete