Wednesday, April 26, 2023

 A bit warmer today. It was a better day in general. I was feeling sorry for myself because no comments had shown up, as they usually do, in the Social section of my emails. But I went and looked at the blog itself just now, and there they are. I am very grateful. They mean a lot to me.

 

The knitting is fine, I think. I put in two successive plain-vanilla knit rows, to balance the two successive pattern rows mistakenly knit yesterday. Never mind the galloping horse: I don’t think I could find them myself, on foot. There is something to be said for garter stitch. I’ve now finished 11 of the 14 pattern repeats for the centre of this shawl. And I am now pretty sure that this first ball of yarn will be enough to finish the centre. I’ll then switch to one of the slightly brighter skeins for the borders.

 

Grandson Joe sent me this picture of his mother Rachel with his son my great-grandson Freddie, in his shawl.



 

Comments yesterday: Southern Gal, it might just be possible to make a new driveway across a field of sheep which has the merit of being a field we own. I’ll see what Helen thinks of the idea. It’s all the fault of the lawyer who acted for us when we bought Burnside in 1963, the year Helen was born. He should have made sure we had iron-clad access.

 

Chloe, I think the NHS is in a bad way – it’s not just me and my hip. I also think that the private surgeon I consulted so expensively recently, may have moved me up the waiting list by several months, by attaching my name to his. (He also works for the NHS.) And I further think that falling and breaking a hip and having emergency surgery (like Dame Edna) is probably more dangerous than a scheduled operation. The private surgeon warned us that when that happens, it’s more often than not the good hip that gets broken.

 

Wordle: Mary Lou (comment Monday): you mentioned getting four with a word you didn’t think was a real word. Was that DITTO? If so, Archie was here that day and he looked it up on his telephone and it goes back to Venice in whatever century it was (sixteenth?) when they were launching the idea of  printing. That doesn’t make it an English word, of course.

 

I was today’s dunce, with five. Mark was the star, with two. Threes and fours elsewhere. I had four browns from my two starter words, and moved too fast on the vital line three. I typed in what I soon saw was a Jean-word: one of the browns hadn’t changed position, and so the word couldn’t be right. I might have scored four had I been more cautious.

13 comments:

  1. Comments are great!
    I have convinced myself that errors, glitches, dropped stitches and other mad moments are an integral part of my nature and ensure that my creations are unique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:08 PM

    My two starter words gave me all five letters (!) with only one green, but from there, it wasn’t hard to find it in three. Cam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:07 PM

    If I only look at one blog each day it's always yours. Why? Because you're often very funny. Because we lived in Scotland (my husband is a Scot) for 20 years--now living in the States. Because I'm always knitting and in particular knitting shawls for babies. Because my husband is a big Wordle fan and always wants to know how you've done. And finally because my parents-in-law lived on Lansdowne Crescent very close to you for years and years. I know what you're seeing out your front door. Thought I'd finally show myself and tell you how much I enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:30 PM

    Little Freddie shows off the shawl very well! But I'm anxious about that loose strand. Can Rachel weave it in and snip it off?

    Beverly in NJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary Lou9:44 PM

    It was ditto. Thanks to Archie I have a new bit of trivia to show off! The shawl and baby are perfect! The bright gold was the right choice!
    I got today's wordle in 4 but it took me a very long time to come up with the answer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:06 AM

    Dear Jean,
    Your blog is the first thing I look to when I open the computer each day, and often I read the comments too. I love that occasionally I see a post on instagram too of you and a cat.

    I’m younger than you, but had to have a hip replacement and the end result is bliss! I’m back to sleeping more than an hour at a stretch, and can now walk again, kilometres at a stretch. Go when you can.
    Gemma in Australia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jane Klemm1:08 AM

    Jean, congratulations on a great grandson! He looks quite cozy wrapped in the shawl! Wordle has been challenging for me the last few weeks, as my starter word has been less effective. But I will keep playing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous3:12 AM

    Sweet baby and beautiful shawl.
    Ron in Mexico

    ReplyDelete
  9. =Tamar6:31 AM

    Lovely shawl and sweet baby.
    As to the new shawl, you may have discovered why they used garter stitch. It puzzled me why they did all that purling.

    If there is any way to make a driveway across that field, do it! It could be done in a week, just install two gates, and a load or five of gravel if you want to be fancy. (I'm assuming there are fences.)

    My mother once had a broken hip from a fall onto a stone. She said it was far less painful than a broken arm. The metal pins were only a nuisance at airports.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous10:00 AM

    Oh! Made my Comment again on yesterday’s post. It is very early here and I’m not always at my brightest at this time of day. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  11. Metrorebecca1:27 PM

    Oh, my, that shawl is amazing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous2:36 PM

    Both shawl and baby are beautiful! Eileen in Chapel Hill

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete