Saturday, April 22, 2023

 Gloomy news: Dame Edna Everage has died from complications arising from a hip replacement. He was just my age, too. I don’t suppose the newspapers will tell me what went wrong. I don’t suppose it matters. The operation was the result of a fall.

 

A grey, chill day.

 

Knitting continues to move forward nicely. I’ve finished the eighth pattern repeat for the centre of my new shawl. Fourteen are required. I think I should manage some more this evening. It stubbornly refuses to get much easier.

 

I’ve found “Brideshead”, and largely re-read it. It is one of my desert island books, the other being “Il Gattopardo”. I also located “Black Mischief” in another pile, so the Waugh shelf is somewhat replenished.

 

Wordle: I got KAYAK in time. My little winning streak is intact. I agree with you about the trickiness of repeated consonants (comments yesterday). I wish I could remember the progress of yesterday’s struggle. My two starters gave me only a brown A. I found a legitimate word for line three. It added a brown Y. At some point during the morning Rachel rang up to tell me about her new grandson. She had already solved it, and she said something which, when compared with her successful grid, told me that the A was in second place. (Cheating?) My word for the fourth line gave me AY green in slots two and three. I wish I could remember that word – it may have been a Jean-word, that is, not a possible answer. That’s where I was when I wrote to you yesterday. When I went back to it again, despite nap-less-ness, the answer was easy. It always seems easy, once you've got it. 

 

Four for me today. We were all threes and fours on this side of the pond: Alexander and Ketki were the threes.  The USofA fared less well: five for both Theo and Roger.

4 comments:

  1. =Tamar7:07 PM

    Congratulations on your traditional, un-predicted grandson! And on completing the shawl in time!
    Making the effort to get out does make a difference.
    Best wishes for both the clock and the shower repairs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:53 PM

    Edna/Barry, RIP. Thanks for telling us, Jean, I hadn't yet heard. Wasn't so keen on some of his more recent remarks, but for a long time s/he was so much fun. - Beth (whose Google account isn't showing as an option today for some reason).

    ReplyDelete
  3. maureentakoma10:06 PM

    What would be the other six books on your desert island list?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:59 PM

    By 90 many more people would have conflicting heath issues than even at, say, 85. As I remember Dame Edna ( bless his soul!) was a bit on the medically obese side. But that was quite awhile ago. He may have trimmed down since then, but it IS a possible reason for complications. At the same time I understand your dismay, Jean! I hope it does not dissuade you from keeping your NHS doctor’s appointment. But beyond that it is entirely your decision. At 90 you’ve earned that right. (I can’t seem to get Google to cough up any statistics. Maybe Helen or others have better access.) Chloe




    ReplyDelete