Thursday, April 27, 2023

 

Another grey, chill day.

 

And an uncomfortable one. My hip gave me a bad night. My sister and my daughter—we might call them Big Helen and Little Helen – both warn me that things might get much worse suddenly, when the hip collapses. My sister is a doctor. My daughter says she heard this from one of the orthopaedic surgeons we consulted, although I don’t remember it. But the thought has made me miserable all day, after the restless night. I made myself a Mindful Chef lunch. That involves tottering around the kitchen a good deal, which I usually regard as healthy exercise.  But today it made me wonder if I was hastening disaster. My sister says that my condition – osteo-necrosis – is very unusual. That’s a boost, anyway.

 

Not much knitting, either. I struck a bad patch last night, after I wrote to you, and again, sensibly, laid it aside until this morning. Everything is straightened out now – but the trouble was that something was wrong in the pattern row before the one I was knitting last night, and I certainly wasn’t going back to fix that. Kirsten, thank you for your comment (yesterday). That’s absolutely it. I’ve done half a pattern repeat today, and will attempt a bit more (cautiously) later on.


Helen was here this morning. She says that my plan won't work -- of making a driveway out through the sheep field (see yesterday) -- because there is too steep a gradient at the far end, and because there is a length of track, between our field and the public road, which probably belongs to the neighbours. You can see why disputes like this so often appear in the newspapers, and why lawyers are so prosperous. 

 

Wordle: Another five for me. Alexander had one too, but he was being a bit silly with his line 4. Mark and Thomas did it in three. Fours elsewhere.

 

10 comments:

  1. Mary Lou8:37 PM

    The full shot of the baby/grandmother/sister is awfully sweet. And all the colors are perfect together! Do the neighbors want a great deal of money to budge, or are they just not budging? How frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca in MN8:48 PM

    My 81 year old husband has now had two hip replacements---one left, one right---and found them both to immediately remove the pain, except for expected surgical pain in stretched out muscles. They were both done with an anterior approach.

    Say what you will about lawyers, you'd be smart to consult one, as you may have rights under the common law based upon your usage of this road over time. In the US, that's true, and our common law is based on English common law (but I don't know what Scottish law has to say).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca in MN8:54 PM

    And I agree with Mary Lou on the photo. Beautiful colors, and a lovely shawl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:22 PM

    What Rebecca refers to maybe called something like an easement of necessity. It sounds like tour property is landlocked either by natural boundaries (a river? A too-steep hill?) or by the neighbor’s land, and there is no way to get from the road to your house except over their land. You have the right to access your property and occupy your house, as much as your neighbors do. It is a wonder that a court cannot give you an easement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. =Tamar11:54 PM

    The gradient is not necessarily a problem - earth-moving can be done - but the track is an issue. You really need to know who owns it.

    An easement of necessity sounds like a possibility. The trouble with Common Law is that, as far as I know, to apply, the roadway must be accessible 365 days a year - if it is blocked even one day, the Common Law does not apply. That may be why they are being such stinkers, to prevent that.

    At least there is still knitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca in Minnesota9:13 PM

      These additional requirements don't exist in American law. If you've used land in a way inconsistent with another's ownership for a specific number of years, you're vested with the right to continue using it in the same way. It's called adverse possession. (Sorry to go off on this, but I felt obliged to clarify.)

      Delete
    2. Agree with Tamar. You may end up paying more to get the driveway built with a steep gradient- but it may be less than a legal battle .

      I dont recall the complete circs. have these neighbors been unapproachable for all the time they lived next to you? or just suddenly becoming intractable.

      sounds so unreasonable

      Delete
  6. Anonymous11:54 AM

    What a beautiful picture - the children, the colors, the shawl and how lovely your hair is, Jean! I wish everything else could be as perfect. How to stave off the necrosis advancement until July? Diet? Fosamax? You have probably explored everything. We are here to help you keep up your spirits which is so important. Chloe





    ? Diet? Fosamax? You have probably explored everything. We are all there for you! Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:57 AM

    Sorry about the repetition. The reply feature sometimes eludes me when I am “editing.’ Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8:25 PM

    Dearest Jean, It's Selma. I know it’s been forever since we've been in touch but I do check your blog and am sorry to read about your hip issues. I’ve had both of mine replaced due to severe osteoarthritis — left in 2020 and right in 2022. You'll feel so much better once the immediate post-operative pain subsides. Feel free to contact me at skaplanwoodstock@gmail.com if you want some long-distance tea and sympathy. Also, you look GREAT!!!

    ReplyDelete