Saturday, April 15, 2023

 It has been another peerless April day. David and Helen and I had a grand time at the garden centre (Hopetoun) –an abundance of cheerful, healthy plants and helpful, friendly staff. One of those days when you can’t help believing that everything, this year, is going to grow and prosper and so you might as well spend too much on it. David and Helen are going to come back tomorrow and plant up my doorstep.

 

My hip is undoubtedly worse. I wonder if I will ever get across to the garden again under my own power. The discomfort is not too bad, when I'm sitting down. Bed rest is increasingly uncomfortable. 

 

I’ve knit a bit more. The shawl I have embarked on is, in layout, like the hap: a centre square, four trapezoidal borders, a lacy edging. We start with the centre again, only this time it has a simple lace pattern whereas the hap had pure garter stitch. The yarn really is splendid in its quiet way. I wouldn’t be surprised if I forgave it in the end for being brown.

 

I read the Times and the Telegraph. Both have printed articles about President Biden in recent days more hostile than anything you’ve read here.

 

Wordle: threes and fours today. I was a four. Theo was the only outlier, with five.

3 comments:

  1. =Tamar10:19 PM

    I still think you could get a second opinion from a different surgeon. Say the magic words, "impacting my quality of life" - I hear that works.
    The plants should do well. Having family there may help keep them tended, too.
    You said the yarn colors are a lovely blend close up. So it's a stealth shawl.
    We had a brief thunderstorm last night and some light sprinkling this morning, then it cleared up. This is just what my old note said happens here this time of year, almost to the day. I am finding that I left notices for myself a few years ago, a function my basic email no longer offers. It's surprisingly helpful to have my own private weather predictions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:04 PM

    Jean. When did you say your NHS appointment was? Maybe you can get it moved forward? It seems unnecessary for you to have to suffer like this. We had great weather here too in the U.S. - sort of a reward for a crumby (crummy?) winter. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary Lou4:48 PM

    We had two 90 degree days, then cooling down, this morning snow flurries and the rest of the week will be cold. I'm glad daffodils are rather hardy. I picked a handful, perhaps I should get them all. So nice to have a garden center outing!

    ReplyDelete