Monday, April 17, 2023

 I’ve survived my second consecutive day without Daniela. She should be back tomorrow. Helen and David came this morning and did some useful things, washing dishes and putting the rubbish out. They were on their way to the airport, alas, because David was on his way back to Thessaloniki.

 

I got some knitting done. I’ve now finished two repeats of the centre-square lace pattern on my new shawl. It’s a 12-row pattern, to be repeated 14 times, I think. It’s really only a six-row pattern, offset for the following six rows. It’s awfully easy, dangerously so, but so far so good. I’m getting fonder and fonder of the yarn. I’ll take a picture for you the next time the sun shines. My object in life, at the moment, is to finish a pattern repeat per day. A modest objective.

 

I’ve finished The Bridge of San Luis Rey. It’s very short. Beth, I’ll make a note to look for Cloud Atlas.

 

Wordle: Lots of fours today, including mine – but then Alexander and Theo logged in with threes. Alexander thinks that Mark and I (and you, Mary Lou) got six yesterday for the look of the numbers. It was Wordle No. 666, and our scores were 6/6.

4 comments:

  1. Jean, Cloud Atlas isn't for everyone - it gained a lot of attention for its nested structure but many find it heavy going. Mitchell is really writing one big story about good and evil, with overlapping characters among his many different novels. It's certainly a longer read than The Bridge of San Luis Rey. Looking forward to photos of the new shawl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Lou8:22 PM

    I am a fan of David Mitchell, but haven't read Cloud Atlas yet. Now I must when I get hold of Bridge of SLR. Jean, Malabrigo yarn is beautiful but the dye lots vary so much. Even among one dye lot skeins are very different. Primavera is a lovely color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:16 PM

    Cloud Atlas was one of a few novels I have read twice. Not at all recently, but at the time I thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Worth a try from the library, anyway.

    So glad it is getting so springy.
    Are there lilacs near you yet?

    keep well
    we love reading your blog
    Lisa RR

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:57 AM

    Jean I vaguely remember you mentioning that you knit while watching your favorite TV shows. I wonder if you also knit with audiobooks. I find it really doubles my knitting pleasure. And, not for everybody (can be too distracting) I have a fine time knitting to various knitting video podcasts, such as Fruity Knitting. Knitting while listening to others talk about knitting…how great is that? I mention this now because when I set myself specific goals for the day, it can begin to feel like “work” and adding an additional element might make it more fun. Of course, for all I know, you’ve been doing all this for ages. Chloe

    ReplyDelete