Sunday, April 02, 2023

 

Sunny but chill today. We got to Mass. (=C. got me to Mass.) The hip is deteriorating, I think. It was even more of a struggle than in the past, but she’s good at it.

 

Knitting went well. I’m still one scallop short of the third corner, but may polish it off tonight. If I can keep up a steady production of four a day, I’ll finish on Thursday. I will need a peaceful day to tidy away the loose ends – not only stripes, but moths. That will still leave plenty of time for blocking.

 

Helen sent me this picture from Thessaloniki. It’s called “Waiting Outside the Taverna”. I suspect the majority are all one litter, perhaps with their mother, but we’ll never know.




 

What I meant to say yesterday, and it’s just as well I didn’t because I would have lost it, is that I gravely disapprove of Biden’s decision (not absolutely definite yet) to stay away from the Coronation. He’s going to Ireland sometime this month to celebrate the quarter-century of the Good Friday Agreement. The Coronation is in early May. Apparently coming over twice would be too much for his increasing feebleness. But Clinton could do the Good Friday Agreement – he presumably won’t be invited to the Coronation, and he was very instrumental indeed in the making of the Agreement. And then Biden, if he’s so keen on Ireland, could nip over there for as long as he liked after the Coronation. He wouldn’t have to wait around here for the street parties. I hope he’ll change his mind. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime decision, and once you stay away from something your empty seat gets remembered forever. It’s no use saying that Eisenhower didn’t turn up in ’53. The world was different then; travel was harder and much less ordinary..

 

Wordle: I disgraced myself with a six today. At least not a failure. My starters gave me three browns. I turned them nicely in line three into grn, grn, grn, ???, ???.  And with that configuration I remained for lines four and five. No Jean-words, either. All genuine suggestions.

 

Not everyone was so dense: Ketki and her son Thomas, Roger and his son Theo – all had threes. So did my daughter Rachel. Alexander struggled like me, but did slightly better – five. Mark blew us all out of the water again with a two. If he weren’t a pillar of the British legal establishment, I would wonder sometimes if he didn’t peek at one of those websites that tell you the answer.

 

You’ll remember that the NYT set my statistics anew when I subscribed recently. I’m happy to report that I had no failures in March – the most recent was FIFTY  on February 25. My current winning streak is 26 as far as the Times is concerned – obviously it’s better in real life.  My best streak in the old days was fifty-something so I’ve got a way to go.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:05 PM

    It seems unkind to label ‘feebleness’ as the reason Biden might not attend the coronation, since apparently no US President has ever attended one — War of Independence and all that, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Lou1:09 AM

    It took me six today, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. =Tamar3:53 AM

    I applaud your continuing success with Wordle. Good going with the scallops, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This Coronation is full of minefields....

    ReplyDelete