Tuesday, April 18, 2023

 A pleasant, sunny afternoon. I’ve almost given up hope of getting out. April is a tough month to miss. Soon, however, it will be warm enough to sit out, at least, even though I can't walk. 

 

However, life is back to normal. Daniella was here and I had my Tuesday bath. David is back in Thessaloniki. Helen dropped by.

 

And I got a fair amount of knitting done. The dreaded mistake has happened. I’m not quite sure what it consisted of – perhaps substituting yo, ssk, yo, ssk for k2tog, yo, k2tog, yo across half of a row. That puts holes in the wrong places but doesn’t disturb the tessellation and I think it’ll just scape by when the galloping horse test is applied. I didn’t discover it until the following pattern row, and certainly wasn’t going to tink back.

 

Chloe, you’re right about entertainment while knitting. When my husband was alive, we watched a lot of television and I got a lot of knitting done. Now I listen to podcasts sometimes, and watch Fruity knitting as you suggest, and knit much less. But I think I could do more with audio books. Amazon says that I have potential free ones stored up for myself in heaven. When I was several decades younger, the majority of audio books seemed to be based on abbreviated texts, of which I disapproved. That doesn’t seem to be the case any more. Why don’t I start with Cloud Atlas? I have begun reading it: so far, so good.

 

Mary Lou, you’re right (as so often) about Malabrigo colours. I think I just took the first one out of the package and started in. Two of the three others seem substantially more vernal. I think the one I have started with, will do most if not all of the centre. Switching for the borders should be painless. I could switch again for the edging.

 

Wordle: I need to figure out how to post grids here. Ketki’s is a thing of beauty today: five blanks in line one, five greens in line two. I had an easy three – my starter words did it for me. Rachel, Thomas and Roger were the other threes. Alexander and his friend Mark needed four. Poor Theo got stuck with one of those first-letter-could-be-anything situations and scored six. One of my starters had given me the first letter.

5 comments:

  1. Jean, since I started using your starter words my threes have begun creeping up on my fours, and yes, an easy three today. Thank you! Glad you're liking Cloud Atlas so far. Like LisaRR, I've read it more than once. There's a whole internet world tracking various characters across his novels. Mitchell himself is an interesting man, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Lou12:41 AM

    I got Wordle in three, but only because there was only one choice after my second word! Odd, but pleasant. I find myself in the unusual spot of having almost nothing on the needles. I always have "emergency knitting", usually socks, but nothing major. Time to buckle down and decide on the cable I want to use for a new pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:59 AM

    Just wanted to send a quick note of thanks for the bits of knitting wisdom you've given over the years of reading your blog. I was just doing increases on the toe of a sock and remembered the "I'll be right back... I left the front door open" device used to remember increase directionality. I never have to look it up thanks to you!
    Matthew from Chicago

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:20 AM

    Cloud Atlas…Google tells me it is quite epic. You are far more ambitious than I am, Jean! I imagine the narrator must be good to help you keep track of the multiple plot lines. But it sounds like you will be having fun with it! Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jean
    There are great audiobooks out there - Audible is now owned by Amazon (what isnt) and you can get lots of free ones but many good ones for not a bad price. lots of good mysteries (sayers, christie etc)

    ReplyDelete