Saturday, April 08, 2023

 

It’s been another pleasant-looking day out there. If the weather holds, Rachel will have to get me out next week, even if she has to push me over to the garden in the wheelchair while Ed follows with my outdoor walker. I need to know how our wild garlic patch is getting on.

 

The knitting of the hap shawl is finished:




 

I’m very pleased with it, the more so because it’s all from stash.

 

I’m glad to have an extra day for the ends. It’s almost as bad as a Fair Isle or a Kaffe. Most of the trouble is moth-based, but there are a not inconsiderable number of colour changes too. I’ve done about 2/3rds, and have warned Daniela about what lies in store for us on Monday.

 

And ordered some Malabrigo sock yarn. No hope for stash here – my sock yarns are all too exciting for a baby. The choice was briefly difficult – no blue, in case the baby is a girl and feels unwanted. No pink, in case it’s a boy who feels his masculinity challenged. No green, because I once shared a flat with an Irish girl who told me that it was unlucky to knit green for a baby. I settled on a shade called Primavera with which I am delighted. (La Primavera, quando Flora da fiori adorna il mondo. I read that in a footnote to something art-historical once.)

 

Helen sent me this picture of the curry dumplings outside our door in Kirkmichael. They are really  primula denticulata I think.




 

Wordle: I failed, ending a winning streak of 31. Rachel and Ketki and Mark had five, so at least they didn’t find it entirely easy. Theo was today’s star, with three. Fours elsewhere.

 

 

 

 

10 comments:

  1. Jane Klemm7:22 PM

    Ended up with a 6. The shawl is beautiful....can't wait to see it blocked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:40 PM

    Looking forward to seeing it in its' full blocked glory. I hope Daniela enjoys the out of the ordinary adventure of blocking this.
    Judy SoCal

    ReplyDelete
  3. =Tamar2:51 AM

    That's a perfect baby hap, and the Calcutta Cup will show nicely when it's in use.
    Cool out today here but sunny. I think the daffodil bud I saw must have bloomed and fallen off in the cold snap.
    Primavera, according to google, seems to be aqua? It's pretty, anyway.
    Weaving in ends is time consuming but the reward is a nice finish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:37 AM

    The shawl is beautiful, Jean. Ron in Mexico

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:41 AM

    I love to see the Kirrie Dumplings. My professional gardener grandfather used to grow them in his Blairgowrie garden. There's a nice Royal Horticultural Society story about their origins here https://stories.rbge.org.uk/archives/19766
    JennyS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:53 AM

      Jenny, thank you. KIRRIE dumplings. All these years we didn”t know that. Jean

      Delete
  6. Anonymous7:49 AM

    Such a lovely version of the Calcutta Cup. The hap will be fabulous when blocked. Lucky baby.
    weavinfool

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:21 AM

    It’s beautiful, Jean! Can’t wait to see it blocked. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  8. MetroRebecca2:30 PM

    Fun fact, sort of: It’s unlucky to knit green things for a baby because, starting in the 18th century, green dyes were toxic until relatively recently. https://mymodernmet.com/history-of-the-color-green/#

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mary Lou5:10 PM

    Lovely shawl! I look forward to seeing it blocked and on the baby! I didn't fail wordle today because at the last minute I guessed a word that I didn't think would work because to me, it isn't a real word!

    ReplyDelete