Sunday, April 23, 2023

 

Grey and chilly. Shakespeare’s birthday, and my father’s.

 

Every Sunday, these days, I wake up feeling that Mass-going is too much for me, and every Sunday, so far, I have managed to get dressed and brush my hair, and C has come early and managed all the rest, and I have hugely enjoyed the outing. We had an interesting sermon this morning, too, about predestination.

 

I have spent the rest of the day in blissful idleness. Perhaps a bit of knitting this evening?

 

Ella Gordon has written a message? blog entry? which starts off pleasantly enough about puffins – they are smaller than I thought, according to her – but goes on to say that a huge windfarm is-being installed in the centre of the Shetland mainland. We have a small one on the hills between Kirkmichael and Alyth (if you drive over the hills instead of going around by the road). Small, in that the windmills are relatively few in number. Each one is huge and I find them terrifying. Like “North by Northwest”. It is dreadful to think of Shetland being covered with such things.

 

My great-grandson is named Freddie Robert Edward Ogden. “Edward” of course is Rachel’s husband’s name, and since Freddie is almost certain to be the only one to carry the Ogden name forward another generation, it’s nice that he’s named Edward, too.

 

Wordle: I had a tough time this morning, and scraped home with six. I was the first one to post, of our little group, and was just about to add a note to my grid saying that I thought it was a toughie, when Mark logged in with a three. So I kept silent. Not everybody did as well as Mark. Roger, Alexander and Ketki needed five. Theo was another three. There were fours elsewhere. I couldn’t think of a qualifying word for the vital line three – I had a green vowel, and two browns, from my starters – so I gave up and entered a Jean-word. That’s always a mistake.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:25 PM

    My husband’s 74th birthday and my niece’s 32 nd birthday today too. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many years ago, hubby and I had a lovely holiday travelling around Shetland. There were wind turbines everywhere. The one thing Shetland has in quantity is wind. Better than the awful coal fired power station we had at Ferrybridge.
    My mother-in-law has two great grandsons with the name Freddy. Its quite a popular boys name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary Lou10:24 PM

    How nice that C gets you out to mass. And Freddie is a sweet name, not common here, as yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. =Tamar4:19 AM

    Is it "Freddie" or "Frederick", I wonder.
    It was a cool but pleasant spring day here, with a cool week predicted. Some tidying was done here, catching up on email after a week without.

    ReplyDelete