Friday, April 28, 2023

 Another grey and chill day.

 

James and Cathy are due here later on. I am busy worrying about how they will get in. They are both competent, professional people in the prime of life (or at any rate not much beyond). They know the code to the key safe. Or they could ring the doorbell. Or they could ring me up – I keep both a land-line and my mobile phone beside the bed, and I don’t think I sleep very soundly. So there is nothing to worry about. But...

 

Helen was here this morning. She thinks I am sufficiently lame that I ought to move in with them until I have this famous surgery. It’s a thought, and a noble one on her part. I hope I can stay here. I think she thinks that the surgeon’s scalpel will rejuvenate me. But I’ll still be 90, and recovery will take some time.

 

Comments: Chloe, I looked up Fosamax. It sounds like something I was once prescribed for osteoporosis, after two broken arms. I eventually stopped taking it when the bones were stronger and it (the drug) was suspected of causing indigestion. That was quite a while ago. And – that’s not me, in the new header. That’s Rachel, with two of her grandchildren.

 

The story of our house and the neighbours and easements and right-of-access is a long and troubled one. We now have a permanent heritable servitude (I love that phrase) across the edge of their field. It cost us blood, sweat and tears and a lot of money. BUT they have planted leylandii in a strip of land  next to it, and just beyond that is a ditch which needs to be cleared every two or three years if it is not to flood the driveway. These are inconveniences which can be endured when the house is occupied only occasionally; not if Helen and David are to live there.

 

No, Mary Lou, it’s not money. Helen and David long ago offered to buy the strip of land containing the wretched trees and the ditch beyond them. Which is well out of sight of their house, because the land rises beyond, and of no use to anybody. The Troublesome Neighbour (in his 70’s) is the only boy in a substantial family of girls. (We have been neighbours for a long, long time.) He was/is severely dyslexic, so writing emails full of sweet reasonableness doesn’t cut much mustard. Helen’s husband David is himself a lawyer, although rustic disputes about driveways are not his speciality.

 

And, hey – knitting went well today. I have finished a pattern repeat (12? – I’m not going to hobble through to the sitting room to check) in the centre of the new shawl, and made good progress with the next one.

 

Wordle: Six for me. I’m not having a good month Theo and Roger (the DC contingent) also struggled: five for both. Thomas and Mark scored three. Four elsewhere.

 

 

 

7 comments:

  1. =Tamar9:14 PM

    We're having a chilly week here, and today is a slow drizzle. I'm telling myself that we need the rain and it will be hot enough in a short time.
    I begin to suspect that you are up against another family's Tradition, but at least you have a lawyer in the mix.
    My late husband took Fosamax. He never mentioned any indigestion, but he rarely complained about anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Lou9:42 PM

    I am lucky and that the majority of my health problems have been dental. Just this week my dentist asked if I took any sort of bisphosphonate (like Fosamax) as it can cause dental problems. Who knew? Also, I have an updated DK Weight version of my Overlap Baby Sweater if anyone is interested in test knitting. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jean, it looks as though the warm colours in your baby hap tone in well with the household decor. Good to see little Freddie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I took alendronic acid pills for osteoporosis a while back, one a week and sit upright for 45 mins afterwards, but after a couple of months they made me feel so bleah that I thought I would have to give up working. Then I had infusions of zolendronic acid (what an amazing name! Like some space age stuff!) once a year for three years with no side effects. But yes, your dentist needs to know. I was due to have another three years of it beginning last year but somehow it never happened. On my list to follow up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:21 AM

    Oh! Thanks, Jean. In the picture there is a strong family resemblance. My Fosamax doctor is adamant that I stay on it for the recommended period of time (5 yrs.) and a recent jaw x-ray shows no dental or other problems. So far. We are all different. Important to drink full glass of water with it and 30 min. Upright. It might be too late for your hip at this stage and I might just be grasping at straws to bring it up. Staying with Helen sounds good. Falling can be a risk. Your neighbor sounds unfortunately to have serious life issues that conflict with your needs. That doesn’t mean there isn’t legal hope. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  6. regarding the neighbor (thanks for the history) is there any chance of contacting his family relations to appeal to them to assist in the purchase of that strip? its unreasonable.

    also if the non maintenance of that ditch is causing you not to be able to use what you own ... then you may be able to pursue damages from him ... or at least threaten (in nice terms from a lawyer) that the non access because of flooding due to the non maintenance of the ditch causes harm (i know there is legal language for all of this) and prevents full use of your property.

    This may be a way to get him to agree to sell it eventually. but it would likely require documentation of when and how bad the flooding is to prove - and likely would have to be only if the house were occupied year round - all things to ask a real estate lawyer

    i think it would be worth a consultation with one.

    ReplyDelete