Wednesday, April 19, 2023

 Another pleasant day. Again I didn’t get out. I was going to quote for you a sentence about Lord Marchmain – he didn’t get out either, during his last summer. But the Book Thief has taken even Brideshead Revisited from its place on the shelf.

 

Knitting continues well. I’ve now finished five of the necessary fourteen pattern repeats in the centre square of the current shawl. I think maybe I’ve devised a better way for myself of thinking about the pattern as I knit it – but for today, I still couldn’t listen to anything (audiobook, podcast). I needed all my diminishing powers to be concentrated on those ssk’s and k2togs.

 

Comments: Matthew, thank you for your thanks – but that very useful mnemonic “I’ll be right back, I left the front door open” comes from Stephen West, I think in a Craftsy class. He deserves all the credit. My only other piece of knitting lore – the very useful fact that the stitch the needle enters first winds up on top, in any decrease – comes from Margaret Stove, verbatim.

 

Wordle: four today, maddening, because that puts fours ahead of threes in the new scheme the NYT reduced me to when it stripped me of my statistics. I thought I had it: the first four letters were green, but I had to try again for Letter Number Five. Roger, Theo, Ketki and Mark fell into the same trap, although Roger and Ketki got there by a more leisurely route and scored five. Rachel was today’s star with three. Fours elsewhere.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:02 PM

    Hi Jean,
    Yesterday, in Wordle, I used a Jean word, HOUSE, as my first word and managed to get HOUND in Two!
    First time! Thank you!
    Today I managed a 3.

    ReplyDelete