Sunday, July 17, 2022

 

A good day. Helen and I went to the garden centre at Hopeton where we spent an inordinate amount of money and then came home for a quick lunch and then she gardened on my doorstep until everything was planted and swept up after. Better late than never.

 

I’ve got the knitting all lined up, but still haven’t taken a stitch. I’ve found the pattern and the yarns and those funny needles I got to knit a small circumference in the round, and I’ve even located where I am in the pattern. I just haven’t actually picked it up and started. I have reminded myself, however, that the legwarmers commemorate our memorable Calcutta Cup victory in 2021, at Twickenham. We won again, this year, here at home: that’s still to be done. I had been lulling myself into the happy belief that when the legwarmers were finished, I was free of obligation (however self-imposed) and could knit whatever I wanted.

 

I was interested in your remark about Knitting magazine, Chloe. I have entertained the opposite thought: that their photography isn’t nearly as slick as Vogue’s and that might be why I occasionally knit things from the latter (and often want to), but not from the former. I don’t understand why my subscription to VK has been allowed to lapse. I must rectify that.

 

Wordle: I didn’t like today’s word. I got it in five, as usual. Three for Mark, four for both Alexander and Ketki. I learned today that Alexander regards it as “cheating” to look at anybody else’s grid before you have solved it yourself. Alexander is rather given to making up rules for life. I often look at others’ grids, if they’ve posted before I have in the morning, and it never does me the slightest good. It would be another matter if I knew their starter words.

 

We have another political debate this evening,. Maybe I’ll knit!!!

4 comments:

  1. I'm unclear what you mean by looking at their grid. Doesn't that mean you know the answer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. =Tamar9:20 PM

    I would certainly rather knit than listen to politicians. You have the yarn so take that first stitch - probably the last one needs tightening, after sitting so long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:26 AM

    Oh, Jean, I agree with you about VK - having been a loyal subscriber for almost 25 years and the main influence for me actually becoming a knitter although I learned from my mother about age 12. I was just comparing Knitting’s physical format to its own former self which, to my eye, seemed too busy and old-fashioned. I can’t speak to the pattern quality. I’m too simple a knitter (mostly knit-and purl, no cables or fair isle). VK, on the other hand has always looked modern, innovative and lively but has had to re-organize itself a bit because of the huge Internet influence. It now only publishes 3 issues a year, although it still looks basically the same, has a podcast and probably some other innovations I may have missed. I still love and subscribe to it. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:23 PM

    Gardening, kittens and knitting-doesn’t get much better than that! Well, maybe beach time :-)
    Laura

    ReplyDelete