Saturday, July 30, 2022

 I didn’t get out today – a pity, because it looked like a nice one.  (I did my exercises, though.) I hope to walk with C. tomorrow. And Helen will be back from her family holiday in Greece tomorrow, airports permitting. I’ll see her on Monday, insh’Allah. She says it’s very hot in Greece.

 

My next project, which with luck will be a quick one, will be to replace Helen’s ruined Evendoon using, as far as possible, my stash of leftover Schehallion. Then Calcutta Cup 2022 – with even more luck, I will have embarked on it while 2022 is still here.

 

I watched Fruity Knitting. It was a rather uninspiring issue, I thought, concentrating on a Rowan designer named Georgia Farrell. She recommended a small Japanese book called A Dictionary of Colour Combinations. Andrea pounced on it in delight, and got one for herself, and so did I. It is nothing but that: colour combinations. I’ll have to do more Fair Isle, to make good use of it. Might be interesting.

 

Wordle: an interesting day. My two starter words yielded nothing by one green vowel. I gave up and entered a Jean-word in line three: it  re-used an eliminated letter. But it was useful, as Jean-words often are– it gave me another green, and a brown, and I got it from there. Alexander and Mark also did it in four. Thomas, most uncharacteristically, needed five (so he’s the class dunce today). Ketki is the star of the show, with three.

 

Both sets of my grandparents grew vegetables. My mother’s father effectively had a smallholding, cow and chickens and all. I remember the food as dull. A child’s palate? Dull cooking with overdone vegetables? I suspect both were involved.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:53 PM

    My mom was from the upper Midwest, of Swedish descent, and believed in cooking things until they were well and truly "done." Even the veg. I don't think any spices were involved either. It wasn't until I was in college that I realized I actually liked vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  2. =Tamar2:45 AM

    In the 1940s people were taught to overcook things for "hygiene"--my mother was taught to boil chicken before baking it "to be sure it was cooked". I've read stories of corn boiled for three hours. And salt was a spice. Cookbooks had charts but people tended to guess and overdo. On the other hand, when foods were in short supply, overcooking was believed to make spoiled vegetables "safe" too. So, probably not _just_ a child's palate, though that is involved--I appreciate plain foods more now I have been avoiding added sweetening most of the time.

    ReplyDelete