Wednesday, July 13, 2022

 

Progress on various fronts. A good day.

 Here is my Lilias Day:



 It lacks but a couple of rounds of twisted rib at the neck, the bind-off, and a bit of finishing including underarm Kitchener-ing. I’ve run out of the basic colour and must therefore wind the last skein, all 100 grams of it. That’ll take a while. Will I then block it? That remains to be seen. I am terribly pleased to have finished a grown-up, serious project. It’s been a long time since that happened, I feel. I started this one in late May, just in time to take to Cramond with me for those two weeks I spent in care. That was late May, so the whole thing has taken less than two months. That’s pretty good, too.

 

The next job, not attractive, is to finish the Calcutta Cup legwarmers. There’s not far to go. It’s not much fun, doing Fair Isle over so small a circumference. The problem here, however, is that I don’t know where the finished first one is. A general sense of it’s-around-here-somewhere has gradually given way to anxiety. I’ll put Michaela onto it tomorrow. She’s not an absolutely brilliant finder like Daniela, but she’s pretty good.

 

The project after that will probably be an attempt to confect some sort of Evendoon for Helen, replacing the one her washing machine ate, using the abundant Schiehallion left-overs I seem to have in stash. If some of them have to be augmented, I think that can be done: there are enough colours that the same-coloured stripes aren’t near each other. As long as one doesn’t introduce a new dye lot in mid-stripe, it shouldn’t be obvious (or even detectable).

 

Wordle: five again for me. Three for Ketki, four for Alexander, five for Mark. Alexander and I suffered from the familiar Wordle problem: we had the word except for the last letter;  there was more than one possibility; we guessed wrong.

 

Helen came this morning, and I pushed my new machine perhaps a third of the way around the garden: further than I have taken it before.

6 comments:

  1. Your Lilias Day is really lovely! And I'm very jealous that you did it so speedily. I've pretty much given up knitting sweaters as I always seem to get hung up on the finishing parts and it never gets finished. I'm going to use you as my inspiration going forward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fair isle is so attractive, and your jumper has beautiful soft colours. Wordle 4 today, lucky guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always amazed with the speed you finish things. I am NOT a fast knitter. Hooray on the walking front!

    ReplyDelete
  4. MAry Lou1:18 AM

    That was finished quickly! It's going to be lovely. And get someone to block it - it will be worth it. I do the lazy way - wash it as I would a sweater, lay it flat and go. I don't, however, have cats! I got Wordle in three today - rare for me, but I guessed at a not common word and then chose the correct initial consonant on the first try. Good luck rather than good management.

    ReplyDelete
  5. =Tamar2:39 AM

    Good going with the garden. With the heat, I hope you made sure to stay hydrated. The sweater is very pretty. I recommend getting someone to block it, under your direction if need be. It makes such a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:20 AM

    I love the Lilias Day, too! I wasn't so wild about the colors in the original, but yours are stunning.

    Beverly in NJ

    ReplyDelete