Sunday, July 31, 2022

 

C. is the most conscientious tester I know – largely to protect me. This morning, for the first time after all these months, she tested positive. So, no walk, and kitten-visiting this week is in some doubt. She has no symptoms.

 

I did my exercises faithfully, and I finished the legwarmers. I instantly cast on a replacement Evendoon for Helen from my abundant Schehallion stash. So far, delightful. There’s nothing to beat stripes. And the fact that I’m knitting from stash enhances the experience. Kate Davies doesn’t even suggest needle sizes. Has that always been the case? How did I know what size to use for Lilias Day? Certainly not by swatching. I found an appropriate-seeming needle and all is well so far – the experience is very pleasant, the fabric likewise. Eventually I’ll measure and see what gauge I’m getting. It’s knit top-down, with the neck ribbing added later. So far, therefore, it’s rolling like mad.

 

I wonder why KD has never been on Fruity Knitting?

 

Wordle: I’m back in my usual bottom-of-the-class position. Thomas’s starter word gave him four greens, so he got it in two. Mark and Alexander and Ketki needed three; four for me. But my little winning streak is lengthening, and I am approaching the point where my historic accumulation of fours will outstrip my fives. That is my ambition at the moment.

 

I’m reading Le Carre’s “Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy”. I must have read it at some point in the past, long ago, but I’ve forgotten most of it. It’s terribly good.

 

 

4 comments:

  1. I amazed myself by getting Wordle in two! Sorry to hear about C testing positive and missing out on a visit. Congratulations on one project finished and a more pleasant one started.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:59 PM

    Enjoy the stripes Jean! On the Ravelry pattern page, she suggests a 4mm/US 6 needle. Looking forward to seeing your stripe progression.
    Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  3. =Tamar2:24 AM

    Congratulations! Another long project completed, and well-earned pleasant knitting in progress!
    I wonder if C got a false positive. Better safe than sorry, I suppose.
    It is a few degrees cooler here in Maryland, though when 88-F (~31-C) is considered cool, you remember that MD is at Mediterranean and North African latitudes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shandy8:58 AM

    I was very surprised to find that KD only suggested using needles which would allow you to achieve the required gauge but not a particular size. I always use the needle size to work out whether the yarn is DK or Aran weight or whatever. When I queried this it seemed that there had been issues over finished garments turning out too small for people using a specified needle size so that was the solution they had come up with. I still found it unsatisfactory.

    ReplyDelete