Wednesday, July 27, 2022

 

I got my next month’s copy of Delicious magazine today. There on the cover is a cob of corn in camicia as I think we might say in Italian. Not to be had from the supermarket which will deliver here tomorrow. They do occasionally turn up, and carry the faintest suggestion of the real taste. The ones that are sold already stripped bare aren’t worth buying. In the US, of course, one eschews supermarkets and buys from the farmer’s gate, preferably late in the day in the hopes that he has made a second picking. Ideally one grows one’s own, uphill from the kitchen door, and gets the water boiling before one goes out to pick.

 

When I went to CT for my nephew Theo’s wonderful wedding, I saw in my sister’s rubbish the night I arrived the husks of the corn they had eaten the night before. (What was I doing, looking in the rubbish? Helping with the washing-up? Most unlike me.) That’s the closest I am likely to get in later life.

 

Delicious magazine went on to globe artichokes, also not to be had at the local Waitrose. There’s more hope there, and they don’t suffer quite so much from travel. That was an exquisite luxury we were occasionally served in my childhood. Neither artichokes or corn asks for anything more than melted butter – with a drop or two of Tobasco if you must.

 

Then Delicious proceeded to tomatoes. Those, of course, I can get in abundance, but none of them taste like summer. When Archie and I went to Italy in October, ’18, we started in Naples before proceeding south to Reggio Calabria to see the Riace bronzes. (valgono un viaggio). I had a Salad Caprese on successive evenings in different restaurants. Surely, in October, there are still some late tomatoes on the slopes of Vesuvius? The ones I was served were as tough and tasteless as anything in Edinburgh. Perhaps the Italians regard them as a delicacy and have them flown in.

 

So I am feeling pretty sorry for myself.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:41 PM

    It seems that Italians prefer salad tomatoes in what we consider an unripe state. Peccato!
    Elaine in NYC (not anonymous)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So wish I could share my current abundance of tomatoes with you. I'm sure they will stop setting on next week when the heat is supposed to come back, but for now, we have more than we can eat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:28 PM

    I have very vivid memories of new potatoes, freshly dug and eaten with melted bacon fat rather than butter. We grow our own but they never taste like the ones I remember. I rather think it might be my taste-buds which have aged like the rest of me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. =Tamar2:59 AM

    I recall back in the 1980s reading of a variety of sweet corn - was it called Eversweet? - that actually got sweeter after it was picked. But I never tried it. I have done the boil-before-picking. Like asparagus, freshly picked corn can be eaten raw on the way into the house. What a shame about the tomatoes. Could you grow a container of them on the steps?
    One of my neighbors is growing corn in their front yard! I love it!
    P.S. Congratulations on another Finished Object.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:31 AM

    Jean, there are many farm shops in East Lothian, some of which will have corn in its husks either now or a bit later in the season. Why not find an enthusiastic relative who will a) call to enquire about availability and b) take you for a short scenic drive and maybe a coffee or tea out. They usually have parking right next to the shop so no need to walk any distance (but again can always call or e-mail and ask).

    I got a tomato plant from Waitrose (surprising to me) and have it just outside my back door. It produces the best tomatoes I have ever tasted.
    JennyS

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:18 PM

    I haven’t tasted a really good tomato in decades, but lately supermarket corn has been uniformly sweet, crisp and fresh - although I’ve never had just-picked to compare it to…It used to be you could never get a bad meal in Italy, but I was greatly disappointed this last trip. Touristy food I would call it. All gummed up with heavy sauces. We needed to Ask to find a good meal. No more just walking in anywhere to get a simple bowl of spaghetti that was memorable. Those were the days…Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:28 PM

    I think the modern supermarket corn is too sweet, and with not enough real corn flavour. Jean, is this your feeling too?

    ReplyDelete