Saturday, July 02, 2022

 

Not much to report, but I’m inching forward with the knitting. There’s a Wimbledon match on this evening which should do nicely for background noise as I get once more around that yoke: that will finish the second colour, and send me to bed with the feeling of something accomplished. The next colour includes the first decrease round for the yoke, although not at once. If I keep at it, I’ll get there.

 

I had a nice time talking to my sister on Zoom. She thinks it very likely that industrious physiotherapy could restore my hip to a degree of usefulness which would render unnecessary the expense, pain, and recuperation time required by surgery. Let alone, the question of who is going to look after the cats. Where am I to turn?

 

Wordle: I failed again today. That happens too often. I need to lift my game. Mary Lou, when I write about Wordle (as I did just then) I am referring to the current one. Since I post in the early evening, that means even British-based readers still have time to do it. East Coast American readers are only now having lunch, and anyone further west has even more time to get around to Wordle-doing. I hope I have never said anything to provide a clue.

6 comments:

  1. You will need PT both before AND after a hip replacement. Someone will take care of the kitties. Neighbors, relatives, paid cat sitter. Check with your vet. I would if I didn't live in Chicago. EVERYONE I've known who has had a hip replacement as wondered why in the world did they wait so long. The longer you wait, the more difficult it will be. Perhaps you could schedule the operation, start PT and see how it goes. If PT really helps, then cancel the hip replacement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with this 100%. I had a knee replacement about 5 or 6 years ago. I walk about 3-4 miles every day and if I had not had the replacement I would not be walking, and I might be diabetic. I expect to need a hip in a couple of years and that hip is bad simply because I abused it for years because of the pain in my knee. I do hope you decide to get your hip--and your freedom--back soon.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous9:59 PM

      I too have to agreed both with KnitNance and kayT above. With all due respect to your sister, who I know is a physician, there is much anecdotal evidence from your friends here either personal or their friend’s experiences, whose daily living has been so improved by joint replacement. Not to mention potential risk for a fall in your current situation. I’m sure with help from your large and loving family a satisfactory solution for cat care can be found (I also would volunteer if only I were closer!)
      Hopefully you can get more detailed information re the current deterioration of your hip joint to be convinced that replacement is the way to go. PT will be needed in your recuperation. If that were your only treatment it might help to strengthen your muscles to better support your hip but I don’t think it would do much to relieve the bone on bone pain that comes with arthritic deterioration.
      (Lynda in Massachusetts)

      Delete
  2. They are finding that some types of arthritis do respond very well to physiotherapy, others do not. Do they know what type you have? Maybe more research is in order - though I agree, getting into a PT program while waiting for the surgery is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of good advice here; I'd have thought that physio would be a place to start while pondering possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary Lou6:28 PM

    You have never published a spoiler, Jean, don't worry! I have no experience with joint replacement, so I have nothing to add except that I hope for the best outcome, no matter what you choose. I am still working on my linen make-it-up-as-I-go striped tee-shirt. The small ball of one of the darker colors has gone missing, and I'm wavering about trying to find more of the navy, or moving on. I even drove back to the outdoor pavilion where I was knitting while out with friends, but no luck. There must be a happy squirrel somewhere.

    ReplyDelete