Thursday, July 07, 2022

 

I got out today with my new outdoor walker. It was a wonderful summer’s day, with just that thread of Scottish cool to make it perfect. The walker works wonderfully, and I look forward to extending my range – there wasn’t time for much today.

 

Knitting continues to move forward. I am getting near the end of the fourth yoke colour, of six. The next decrease round is also approaching. I think when I have done it, and changed colours, I’ll look for a needle half a mm bigger. The knitting is a bit stiff – not enough to spoil the result, but I wonder if stiffness is why I don’t quite feel I am achieving the blissful colour knitting experience of yore. Maybe that only happens with  Shetland jumper weight.

 

Today was women’s semi-final day at Wimbledon. I gave myself the day off, since I am not interested in the fates of any of the four women involved. Tomorrow is men’s semi-final day so if you don’t hear from me, you’ll know why. Nadal isn’t feeling very well. If he is going to withdraw, it’s a pity he didn’t do it in the fifth set yesterday, rather than depriving us of a semi-final. The two players who aren’t either Nadal or Djokovic are a) a pleasant-looking Englishmen, designer stubble and all and b) a villainous Greek who seems however to be an Australian. I've forgotten who's playing whom but it'll be entertaining either way, and then the Nadal-Djokovic final should be riveting -- if Nadal is there.

 

British politics have become remarkably interesting but I don’t think I have anything to contribute to the conversation.

 

I was the class dunce in Wordle again today: I scored five, Ketki had four, Thomas and Alexander and Rachel in London, three each. I am trying to discipline myself to make every entry, after my two starter words, a possible answer: that is, a word which makes use of all the information already gathered. It’s often remarkably difficult. Today, for example, my starters gave me two green tiles, both of them vowels. It was a titanic struggle to think of any word that would fit, using only letters that hadn’t yet been eliminated. And it wasn’t right, and neither was my fourth line.

2 comments:

  1. =Tamar9:04 PM

    Hooray for getting out in the sunlight!
    Two days' knitting does show an increased result. It should go even faster after the next decreases.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Lou3:18 PM

    I find I have to go up a needle size for the colorwork portion of a sweater, otherwise it is too tight.Like you, when I have two green vowels in the first guess I am baffled. I only know that R is the most frequently used letter in English, but that doesn’t help much!

    ReplyDelete