Monday, October 17, 2022

 

Another fine autumn day. Another circuit of the garden, all strewn with leaves.

 Here’s the first part of Clue Two, finished.




 I have progressed a bit further than that. I’ve picked up the stitches for the wing on the other side, and purled a few rows. Janice (comment yesterday) I don’t think I know “Martyn of Knit365” and must make his acquaintance, as I am coming to suspect that my purl, too, is substantially looser than my knit. I didn’t know that. I doubt if I have ever purled a substantial block of fabric before – why would I? I hope I can tighten up, or that it’ll settle itself down. I have abandoned all thought of converting to knit.

 

Here is another pic, blurry but adequate:




 It illustrates carrying a second colour up the side in order to knit a forthcoming stripe with it. If you just cross the two yarns every time you start a row on that side, the one you aren’t using will bury itself completely in your knitted-on i-cord edging. Assuming you are knitting on an i-cord edging. I am delighted to know this.

 

I can’t keep up this pace much longer. I think I may be knitting four or five hours a day. I am still afraid that the MKAL will end and the pack will disperse while I am still far from the end, and I won’t be motivated to go on with all this silliness. Maybe I’ve done enough by now that momentum will carry me forward.

 

Wordle: Three for me and Thomas and Daughter-Rachel and Theo, four for Mark, five for Alexander and his wife Ketki. Nothing from Granddaughter-Rachel.

]

3 comments:

  1. Would going to a half or quarter size smaller needle fix the purl problem? It's looking most intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Lou7:54 PM

    I see KirstenM and I have the same idea. I do tend to purl more loosely than I knit, and I would probably go down, say from a 3.0 to a 2.75 to adjust. It may not make much of a difference in the shawl, anyway. Sudden very cold snap here, I harvested all the Delicata Squash to protect it. The we are supposed to get back to 70F.

    ReplyDelete
  3. =Tamar2:25 AM

    Years ago I experimented with carrying the yarn around my neck and down over the left shoulder (some people use a hook or circle pinned to the shoulder), and it almost forces you to purl, it's so much easier. You throw the yarn by pushing with your left thumb. It definitely tightens the stitches!

    ReplyDelete