Sunday, October 09, 2022

 It has been a grey-ish unattractive day, but dry and not very cold.. C. came, and we did a circuit of the garden.

 

And I have knit resolutely on. I’ve now finished four of my eleven repeats. (Is that all? It feels like at least a dozen.) As feared, half a dozen Ravellers have finished Clue One altogether. One of them writes in to ask if she should block it. I don’t think anybody has answered that yet. I couldn’t have done that (without calling in Rumpelstiltskin) even if I had given up eating and sleeping and blog-writing. On the other hand we had the tragic tale of the knitter who looked down at her hands and found that she was binding off one of the chevron sections instead of one of the rungs on one of the ladders. She started the whole thing again from the beginning.

 

Here’s where I am:




 I’ve got the hang of it now and scarcely need the pattern. That’s when you start making mistakes.

 

Wordle: I nearly put this at the top today, so exciting is the news. Namely, that I got the best score of all our little group. I did it in three. Ketki and Granddaughter-Rachel scored four; Mark and Thomas and Daughter-Rachel five; Alexander and Theo six. I deeply disapprove of the word.

 

Theo (in DC, remember) says he dreamt that we all came to see him, and discussed the puzzle of Granddaughter-Rachel’s words yesterday. The answer was VIGOR. Rachel had green tiles for positions one and two and four and five. She made two unsuccessful guesses at that missing middle letter. I certainly can’t think of any word that would qualify. (Wordle doesn’t let you type in rubbish – every guess has to be a word in its database.) I hope she can remember. One of the interesting things about Wordle is how rapidly one forgets each day’s effort.

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:47 PM

    Vizor?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:56 PM

    Visor?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too, deeply disapprove of today's word. Took me five.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wordle in six. I don't know about disapproving of words but today's word didn't seem like a NYTimes word.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary Lou11:11 PM

    I think of today's word as a slang or regional idiom. I was irritated, but did get it in 5. Ihave several colleagues who are making the mystery shawl. I'll be seeing them on Tuesday and will report back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:27 AM

    Wow that mystery shawl is quite fascinating. I am curious about that braided column. Will the other columns of loops just stay as loops?
    Thanks for sharing your photos!
    I feel you are working very quickly!
    Lisa RR

    ReplyDelete
  7. =Tamar4:53 AM

    The only other word possible is, as Anonymous suggested, "visor", with probably one misspelled guess.
    I, too, am curious about the "unbraided" loops. The "braid" is technically knitted, and it is a nifty invention. Very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That shawl looks incredibly complicated. I failed wordle yesterday; got three green letters and couldn't think what would fill the gaps. I didn't get vigor either. So I started singing second line of 'mum's out, dad's out let's talk rude' (Flanders and Swann) instead.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:07 PM

    It’s interesting that you -and others - disapproved of the word and yet managed to guess it as the correct one so quickly, Jean. Although if I knew the word, it might have been an obvious choice. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous12:12 PM

    Looked it up. I see your point. Chloe

    ReplyDelete