Tuesday, October 11, 2022

 

It has turned a bit cold. Nothing is more comforting than my ratty old semi-brioche in a Madtosh yarn. Maybe that pattern we saw at Brooklyn Tweed the other day – not called “Stirling” – should have a serious place on the to-do list.

 

Helen is safely back from Madrid where she enjoyed herself, although she says that nourishment is a bit difficult for a vegetarian. We got around the garden this morning. And I knit remorselessly on, finished another two repeats. So that’s eight done, of eleven. Even allowing for a twelfth near-repeat, and an i-cord bind-off, I might finish Clue One this weekend. I was much encouraged, browsing the Ravelry user-group, to meet someone who professed herself a veteran of Stephen West MCAL’s and who said that this was going to be the first time she had ever failed to finish a clue before the next one arrived.

 

A few are considering giving up. I think they have been persuaded to suspend judgment until they have seen the next clue.

 

Are any of you doing it? I find that in the dread cast-on row it works better if you do the first 11 stitches with the cable cast-on, as instructed, but for the 12th stitch, knit into the 11th (instead of inserting the needle between the 10th and 11th). That makes the 12th stitch much easier to get hold of on the return journey, when it has of course become the first.  Stephen himself had a bit of trouble with that in the demonstration video.

 

Here’s where I am. I’ll do some more braiding for you for tomorrow’s pic.




 

Wordle: Theo and Alexander and Daughter-Rachel and I scored three; Ketki four; Thomas six. No other competitors. My starter words gave me a brown and a green and I persevered until I thought of a word that fully qualified, and it was the answer. That often works.

 

4 comments:

  1. =Tamar8:25 PM

    Yesterday was a little chilly here in MD. Today is sunny and warm-ish. It goes down to the 40s at night.
    That looks like ten repeats to me...
    Congratulations for not only keeping the momentum but improving the pattern!
    I think rather than calling it braiding I would call it chaining, but it's his pattern, he can call it what he likes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:04 PM

    I’m doing it Jean, and it’s getting rather tedious that’s for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:53 PM

    Hi Jean, I’m also doing the MKAL - I don’t like the shape or look of the fabric produced by the first clue. I think it is very clever construction and interesting, but I have set it aside to see what the second clue reveals. I love the yarn I have, and if I don’t like the shawl I will be sad I think. So I am waiting. His videos are excellent - I’ve never watched one before. Very clear instructions. I am enjoying watching other people show their work on race let and Instagram. Anna from Toronto, now in Muskoka

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janice2:54 PM

    Hi Jean - I too am knitting it and have committed to at least 1 repeat a day. I’m currently at 5. Im also trying to get a second project, Arne &Carlos’ Trym done this month as im seeing them in November. So, that’s slowing me down on the MKAL.

    ReplyDelete