Tuesday, October 18, 2022

 

I am embarrassed that it didn’t occur to me to go down a needle size to compensate for loose purling, Kirsten and Mary Lou. I did so at once, on reading your messages (comments yesterday) and it looks better. Here’s where I am:




 

I scrunched up the central part so that you could compare the garter stitch sections – the purl one, half finished, is on the left. I’m getting used to purling, although I’ll be profoundly glad to be finished with this section. Next – still part of Clue Two – come the two cable sections. They will be attached at the top (the nearer edge, in this pic) of the two garter stitch sections. The picking-up-stitches bit sounds enormously complicated, with home-made stitches as well as picked-up ones, and brackets and asterisks. Maybe the count will match the sections of the garter stitch wing and it’ll be easier than it sounds. Maybe not.  Then when the cables are finished, there’s an i-cord bind-off of more than 100 stitches. That will be slow.

 

No other news. I didn’t walk because it was my bath day. It’s beginning to get cold. The sort of weather when, in a normal year, I would begin to think of turning the heating on. My man was meant to come this morning to bleed the radiators and check the system, but he phoned to say his daughter has Covid so that will have to wait a week. Rachel and Ed are coming to see me early next month, and my sister and her husband from DC later on. Effete southerners all four – I want to have the heating in a state in which I could turn it on.

 

Wordle: Two for Ketki, three for Daughter-Rachel, four for Alexander and Theo, five for me and Granddaughter-Rachel and Thomas, nothing from Mark. So my fives are now equal to my fours, after a happy few days in which fours edged out in front. I had a perfectly good, if rather high-brow, word on line four, but it was wrong. My starters gave me three browns and a green, and yet I used a Jean-word for line three, omitting one of the browns and employing a forbidden letter. I deserved my five.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:46 PM

    What do you mean by a "Jean" word? I am currently having a string of fours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. =Tamar7:05 AM

    It's getting chilly here in MD too. You have done an impressive amount of knitting already. It looks as though you are working downward from the shoulders of the shawl. I wonder what he's going to do at the top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:57 PM

    Maybe make a reminder for yourself to change needle size for the next section?
    I find I really need very clear needle change instructions/reminders.
    Such a fun project!
    Lisa RR

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary Lou4:31 PM

    My colleague who is doing the MKAL is not as far as you are, Jean!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:17 PM

    Congratulations on all that beautiful purling. So far this has been quite an adventure - say I who hasn’t had to do any of the work. Chloe

    ReplyDelete