Monday, October 31, 2022

 

A day of surrender…

(a)  To the Mkal

(b)  To Wordle.

 

We started off peacefully enough. Helen came. We got around the garden. I think my hip is getting worse. Physiotherapy in some form is coming tomorrow. I’ll have some questions for them.

 

Then, in the late morning, I stopped being able to download the MKAL pattern from my Ravelry library. I’ve never printed it out. One assumes at first, of course, that it’s one’s own fault. I switched my router off and on again. But I gradually calmed down and established that I couldn’t download any patterns from my Ravelry library. I google’d and discovered that there have been problems today. I didn’t go into the details. I sat back and wondered, Why am I doing this? I then sought out and re-started Fergus’ Calcutta Cup sweater. It took some time to find it – Daniela had tidied it away, not very far. Finding the book – Kate Davies on the Argyle Coast – took longer, but I succeeded. Presumably the pattern is in my Ravelry library, but…

 

I wish I had thought to show Fergus my Progress So Far when he was here for our take-away supper on Saturday night. It’s looking good, I think.

 

So that went forward nicely, and I think it is perhaps a more sensible thing to be knitting than the MKAL shawl. That is interesting, no doubt. It’s been fun. But no one will want it.

 

As for Wordle, my starter words gave me the same two letters (brown tiles) as they did yesterday. In despair/disgust, I typed in yesterday’s answer for line three. That yielded another brown tile. I just couldn’t bear to go on, after yesterday’s struggle. Three for Mark and Thomas; four for Alexander, Theo, and Daughter-Rachel; five for Ketki. That seems to be all. I don’t care. I don’t even know what today’s word is.

 

Thank you very much indeed for your help with Ott lights. More soon.

13 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:20 PM

    You may be wise to drop the MKAL. When
    I look through the photos on the spoiler thread, I see only five or six that I can imagine anyone wearing. I've gotten no further than the beginning i-cord, and I have downloaded six of Stephen's beautiful shawls that I'm eager to make.

    I take an occasional stab at Wordle, but I often can't bear to go on. I don't have the patience.

    Good luck with your search for lighting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca in Minnesota7:23 PM

    Rebecca in Minnesota

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blame it all on barometric pressure. I always do, and start afresh the next day. Some days are just bleah days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ps, I don't care if barometric pressure was high, low or normal!

      Delete
    2. My new excuse! 😁

      Delete
  4. Anonymous10:37 PM

    As long as you are having fun knitting the MKAL, why not continue and see how it ends up?
    I am curious where the previous downloads have gone - could they be hiding in the download folder?
    I had a random thought about the MKAL - but it requires some younger child or grandchild to assist with the process. If you really do not think anyone you know would wear it, you could choose a charity you recommend, readers make donations to the charity, and you draw a name from the donors. The winner would also pay for the postage/packing.
    Totally understand if this is too complicated!
    Have a good week. November already tomorrow.
    Lisa RR

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary Jane10:40 PM

    Mars is in retrograde. Explains everything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How interesting that you think no one will want the MKAL shawl. That was my feeling about Spectra when I knitted it - an interesting technique, but the kind of garment that wears you, rather than you wearing it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:33 PM

    With Stephen’s shawls it’s the colors you pick. His Twists and Turns videos shows a more neutral-colored version at the end — so much more wearable than the one he is using as a tutorial. Even then, when worn, the colorful one is not all that bad. If you finish it, it may either (a) surprise you as better than you thought, or (b) be an excellent item for charity - not a bad end-use. And either way you will have learned some new techniques which is always good for the brain, right? Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  8. =Tamar4:54 PM

    Looking at what you have done, I wonder of the side wedges are to be wrapped or draped around the arms to look like sleeves with the lighter colored cables bits as a kind of wrist ruffle. As to whether one wears it if it's cold enough I wouldn't care what it looked like! A bed shawl can be cozy for reading in bed.
    Meanwhile, knitting the sweater seems like a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:40 PM

    Looking forward to see what you thought of Tuesday’s Wordle - Piney????

    ReplyDelete
  10. Exactly. Is this a word?

    ReplyDelete
  11. =Tamar3:01 AM

    Piney is a word in the USA, especially in the south, where the piney woods are a major element of the landscape.

    ReplyDelete