Thursday, October 13, 2022

 

It has been a lovely autumn day – just when I thought they might be over for this year. Archie and I got around the garden. We didn’t, however, succeed in fixing the telephone. Its condition is worse than before.

 

I finished the 11th repeat of the MKAL, as planned. It was pleasant not to press myself as hard as in the preceding few days. I finished while the light was good, so I did the braiding:


 

There remains one further eight-row repeat, differing from the earlier ones only in that the final steps on the ladder (or loops in the braid) are not bound off, but left to support the i-cord bind-off.

 

The increases are very gradual – 10 new stitches every 8 rows – but they have at last made themselves felt. Also, I am having trouble, in some rows more than others, coaxing the stitches over the hasp (if that is the word I want). I hope this is connected with all those bind-offs and cast-ons and that things will go more smoothly in the next section.

 

I’ve watched the video for it. There seems to be an awful lot of it. I don’t see how I can finish much before Groundhog Day.

 

Wordle: Everybody got four today, except for Theo who needed five and Mark who hasn’t been heard from. I had a titanic struggle, with one green and three browns, but was determined not to score five if I could help it, and finally thought of a (winning) possibility.

 

Yesterday’s word as IONIC. I scored a disgraceful six. I had the last four letters as green tiles, and had already tried and failed with CONIC. My lines four and five were MONIC and NONIC. I didn’t know that either of them were English words. I was desperately trying anything that could be pronounced. MONIC is a mathematical term: something to do with one-ness. NONIC is much more useful. When you order a pint of beer (or cider?) in an English pub, you often get it in a glass which has a sort of bulge near the top. That’s a nonic glass. I don’t know the etymology.

6 comments:

  1. =Tamar9:26 PM

    Well done! I wonder how that top loop will be worked in.
    Wikipedia says nonic was an advertising name, derived from "no-nick", because the slight bulge helped prevent the top edge from bumping against other things and being nicked. The inventor tried to patent it but the application was rejected.
    Some serious rain here today, probably a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:13 PM

    Hi Jean,
    It took me 6 to get Ionic yesterday. And like you I had the last 4 greens in the third try. My guesses were: MONIC, CONIC, NONIC before I remembered IONIC. As an architect, I felt rather stupid not thinking of that word. And once again that double letter trick! Much better today with a lucky 3.
    The MKAL is so interesting (and beautiful). I was not sure how all those loops would work until I saw the photo today. So nice!
    Sarah in Manhattan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:29 AM

    Hurray, you’ve reached your goal. Was it fun to work all those braids? Or a little nerve-racking. I wish SW would do a sort of MKAL 101 - just a little challenging, so I could join. As is, it would be hopeless for me. Nonic. Interesting what one learns here. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heads up - brilliant exhibition just started at Dovecot Studios entitled 'Knitwear - Chanel to Westwood'. Looks amazing - hope someone can manage to take you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:16 PM

    Your MKAL is looking lovely! After seeing clue two I have decided to not knit it after all. This answers that question for me of am I a product knitter or a process knitter - clearly for me it’s the product I prefer. I will cheer you on from the sidelines and look for something else to do with my yarn. My comment from the other day got autocorrected to something strange when I wrote “Ravelry” which I didn’t notice until later. Anna formerly in Toronto now mostly in Muskoka

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary Lou3:27 PM

    It took me five in Wordle. But now I know some new words in case I every play scrabble again! I do hope the next clue is some easier knitting. I am far too lazy a knitter to make something like that!

    ReplyDelete