Sunday, August 28, 2022

 It was a grand day, but I was horrified to discover by experiment how dead a weight I have become, how heavy a burden therefore to whoever is responsible for me. Living here peacefully with my cats, and Daniella looking after me, and Helen and C. and Archie looking in, it is easy to overlook the brutal truth.

 

Anyway, we got there, and I was there in my wheelchair when the baronet came marching over the bridge, with a feather in his cap and drawn sword in his hand. He processed all the way around the field, too, before speaking to us. And after a few words urging us to enjoy ourselves, he said that, after 42 years, he was quitting as chieftain. I don’t know quite what he is chieftain of,  and certainly don’t know how you find another. He has a couple of sons, but whether or not one of them is willing to be perennially available on the fourth Saturday in August to march across the bridge with drawn sword in hand, remains to be seen.

 

Then I went to watch Helen’s dog Farouk compete in the Rescue Dogs class. He was unplaced. (But later, in my absence, came first in the Golden Oldies class, for elderly dogs). Helen was terribly pleased with that and trusts that his name will be in next week’s Blairgowrie Advertiser. Then we got across the field to the Home Industries Tent – our new, expensive wheelchair, as feared, doesn’t work very well on rough grass. There were some wonderful things there, most especially leeks and parsnips fully worthy of the annual Highland Show at Ingleston.

 

Then I went home (=got taken home). Later, Helen brought me all the way back here. A heavy day’s driving, for her. I think I perceived my cats, normally irretrievably hostile to each other,  saying, one to the other, “I told you she’d come back.”

 

No knitting, either day.

 

Wordle: we all disapproved of yesterday’s word, RUDER. Today’s is harder – it actually defeated Mark. But it is a perfectly fair word. I got three vowels with my starter words, two of them green. I was reduced to Jean-words for lines three and four, But line four gave me a consonant, and I thought of a word familiar to all knitters (sorry for the spoiler), typed it in confidently --  and it was wrong. I got it right on line six. Ketki was best with four. Alexander and Thomas had five.

10 comments:

  1. I agree about yesterday's word. I also came up with the knitting term on line 3, but stared at the options for way too long before it clicked.
    Sounds like a terrific outing yesterday. So glad you were able to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got to the games! And good for Farouk, and Helen. Wordle: me too, didn't like yesterday's, today's was legit but took me six tries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:50 PM

    And I also came up with the knitting term for line 3! Great minds!
    Sarah (in Manhattan)

    ReplyDelete
  4. =Tamar9:09 PM

    A grand day out, in fact. You are not a burden! Wheels are designed for different surfaces--yours were most likely designed for floors. Congratulations to Farouk!
    I believe chieftain is a clan-related title, but if he can retire from it, it may not be hereditary. Possibly someone only distantly connected will take it up, or they may find a way for several to take turns.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:37 PM

    I got Wordle in 3; I think this is the first time I beat you, Jean. And as a knitter I never thought of that knitting word!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now why did it mark me as Anonymous on the first post and how shows me as me?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:12 AM

    I wonder if I would have gotten today's wordle if I were not a knitter.
    Ron in Mexico

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous11:53 AM

    A day at the Games must have been exhilarating, Jean. So glad you were able to go. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  9. I missed Sunday's wordle... now I am intrigued... Did they try dragging you and the wheelchair backwards over the field? Inelegant, but the larger wheels make lighter work of rough ground, and I found I was less likely to tip the passenger out! Sounds like A Grand Day Out (Cue earworm of bagpipes playing an arrangement of Wallace and Gromit music)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mary Lou4:33 PM

    I agree that ruder was a terrible word. And it took me 6 yesterday, because, like you, I thought the knitting word was the answer! Happy you had a good Games Day in spite of it all.

    ReplyDelete