Wednesday, August 24, 2022

 Not much in the way of achievement. It was raining vigorously this morning, much needed, very welcome, but still depressing. I didn’t get out. Archie came, and instead of advancing things that needed doing (that Blue Badge application) we sat and talked. He’s coming again tomorrow and we must do better.

 

He will be one of the party on Saturday, when we go to the Games. He said disconcertingly that it will probably be the last time, for me.

 

I have advanced the ribbing of the cuff of the first Evendoon sleeve somewhat, but not as much as I should.

 

I am reading Lady Longford’s biography of Wellington with much pleasure. I wonder why she didn’t qualify for Kindle-ization? I also find myself wondering about the picture the Duke commissioned from W*like. Who were the artists in London at that time (the year after Waterloo)? i.e., What was the choice? Which of them chose the subject – “The Chelsea Pensioners Reading the Waterloo Dispatch”? Wellington had already sat to Goya, before Waterloo. That picture is in the National Gallery. He may have felt that another portrait of himself was not required. My husband may have answered some of these questions, if I can find his account of the picture.

 

Wordle: four for me again today, along with Alexander and Thomas. Five for Mark – he’s having a bad week. Three for Ketki. My brother-in-law in DC was another five.

 

 

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:07 PM

    Archie does not have a crystal ball! Anonymous Janet in Seattle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:01 PM

    Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary Lou3:42 PM

    Jean, you always point me towards interesting information. I just finished reading the Guardian's obituary of Lady Longford, who lived to be 96 and passed away in 2002. She didn't even take up writing history and biography until rather late in life. Inspiration for us all. Although I don't imagine I will be writing a two-volume biography of anyone...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:07 PM

      She also wrote "Queen Victoria: Born to Succeed" (US title; I believe it was differently titled in the UK), published in 1964, one of the best biographies I've ever read about anyone. Superseded in some respects, ie regarding Prince Albert's fatal illness, due to later research discoveries, but incomparably written and fascinating.
      -- Gretchen (aka stashdragon)

      Delete
    2. Called "Victoria RI" in the UK. It's on my bookshelf and much enjoyed.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous4:30 PM

    Archie has put a challenge at your feet!

    ReplyDelete