Wednesday, August 31, 2022

I've just discovered that I did everything yesterday except actually click "Publish". So there it is, wrongly dated, just below this one. 

It's been a good day., with a fair amount of sun. Daniela and I got to the garden, although we didn’t complete the circuit. The first chestnuts of autumn have fallen from the chestnut tree. Daniela was pleased with herself for remembering the words for “squirrel” and “pigeon”, neither entirely easy. We saw one of each.

 

Look what I forgot to show you yesterday:




 


 

That’s a version of the Baby Surprise, none too big for the newborn Quinn. I think it’s from the Schoolhouse Press book called The Complete Surprise.

 

As for current knitting, I did perhaps a stripe and a half, on the second sleeve of the second Evendoon. And I wound another skein, I think that's the last one I’ll have to do.

 

Reading: I still wouldn’t assign an A* to the new Robert Galbraith. The premise is a good one: the detective needs to identify the real people behind various on-line pseudonyms. But the process is almost as tedious for the reader as for the fictional detective.

 

Wordle: Mark and I are today’s dullards – five for me, six for him. But it’s because we both sank in the familiar Wordle swamp in which there are various possible solutions and nothing but luck to inform the choice. I got two greens and a brown from my starter words, thought of a qualifying answer and proudly typed it in – won’t it be nice to score three again! No such luck. That row got me one more green. Row four made it four greens. Finally success, in row five. Ketki and Alexander both scored four. Their clever son Thomas got it in three.

 

They’re hoping to drop in here in Saturday morning on their way to Lisbon.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:22 PM

    It took me six for wordle yesterday, but my standard four today. I didn't realize that there were more than one Thursday Murder Club. And a new Galbraith. Both will be put on the list. I've been leisurely reading pieces from the New Yorker August 29 archival issue. I really enjoy these issues. The young and newly arrived Bob Dylan. Edith Piaf learning English. I wonder if they put in archival cartoons if they would be funny now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Lou10:23 PM

    That was me just above!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:57 AM

    That Baby Surprise is adorable, particularly so because it is modelled on the actual adorable baby. I have no babies in my future but now I have to make one (knit it and a baby will appear?)…Edith Piaf learned English? Changes my image of the little Sparrow. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:55 PM

    I’ve just finished Thursday Murder #2 and am THRILLED that another one is forthcoming! And Quinn a beautiful baby, all the more so in that warmly colored sweater. (The Other Kristen, who also remembers Sam the Ram and his triumph)

    ReplyDelete