Wednesday, January 18, 2023

 

A good day. A cold one. Helen has proceeded to Kirkmichael despite my misgivings, and emailed me of her successful arrival, as I asked her to. So that’s all right, so far. She’s planning to come back tomorrow. I don’t think I’ve ever opened the house in winter by myself.

 

But she has. There was a memorable, cold Christmas holiday when James and I drove up together. Helen was already there. I don’t know where Alexander and my husband were – although the latter was within reach, as you will see before I finish the anecdote.

 

James was waiting to hear whether he had an Oxford place, so we had to keep stopping at public telephones. When we did that in Blairgowrie – at the one on the High Street, near the Bank of Scotland – we got involved with a drunk woman who wanted to be taken to the cottage hospital along the road. So we did that – they had often seen her before – and then discovered that the cat was no longer in the car. We sought long and hard, but finally had to drive on to Kirkmichael without her, and ring up my husband and tell him we had lost his cat. He loved that cat.

 

He told us to go back to Blairgowrie the next morning before first light. Helen (who was already there: see above) came with me. James stayed in bed. She took one side of the High Street, I the other, calling kitty, kitty, kitty. I can remember exactly where I was when I heard Helen’s cry of joy. She had found the cat in the Bank of Scotland car park.

 

That night it snowed and snowed and snowed. We couldn’t have driven to Blairgowrie the next day.

 

So I hope it doesn’t do that tonight.

 

I got a bit of knitting d0ne – I have divided the front for the neck shaping, and done the neck shaping, and am now very short of the shoulder on the first side.


And we had a very nice lunch together, C. and I and Joy.

 

Wordle: Oh, dear, I don’t want to go back to the kitchen and get the iPad to tell you the details. I scored six – not distinguished. It was one of those Wordle specials: I got a green and one or two browns with my starter words. My line three was brilliant – but wrong. It gave me three greens in the middle of the word. In both line four and line five, the picture was grn, grn, grn, grn, ?? In line six, at last, I guessed right.

 

Thomas also had a six. I remember that. He's very clever, so I felt better. 54][3;']#I think Big Rachel did it in three. I’ll have to confirm that for you tomorrow. I suspect I am doing an injustice to others.

 

 

5 comments:

  1. Wordle: yes, I too had a brilliant line 3 word (following clues from my habitual two starter words) but didn't get the right one until line 5. And just as my 3's were gaining on my 4's. It becomes a game of guessing which word will have appealed to the people who run the thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wordle in three today. When we’re guessing (referring to Beth above) we must remember that the game was produced using more than 5000 more or less common 5 letter words so ANY valid word could be THE one (unless it’s been used already, of course). My strategy now is to just go with my gut!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:08 AM

    Great cat story. I remember we once lost ours in Corbridge High Street (in the 1970s this was, while in transit from London to Perthshire), and found him again up a tree in the old graveyard.
    I remember that phone box in Blairgowrie.
    JennyS

    ReplyDelete
  4. =Tamar4:44 PM

    Past the neck shaping! That's significant progress.
    Cat story: Many years ago in the forest at night - we lived by a road but it was well into the countryside - my sister went out at night to bring in our all-black cat. She did catch a black cat (on a moonless night in the woods), but it seemed somewhat reserved. Although it had the scarred ear that ours had, its legs were thinner. We let it out in the morning, and later ours came back, identifiable by the thicker legs and knowing us. I sometimes wonder what became of the doppelganger cat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary Lou5:44 PM

    I got wordle in 6 today as well - it was a tough one. Oh the days when you had to stop at a pay phone seem so long ago now, but they weren't really. Now there don't appear to be pay phones anywhere.

    ReplyDelete